Good finderscope for Dobs

I`m looking for a reasonably priced RA finderscope for my 8" Dob as I am getting neck ache from leaning over all the time. I`ve been looking at the Skywatcxher 9x50 right-angle and was wondering if anyone knows how good they are or how much different the 6x30 is. I have also seen Telred gets good reviews but I would still have to learn over. Thanks.

Unfortunately aligning stars with a RA finder by itself can be rather testing. To over come this most will have a red dot finder of some type. Usually the telrad is the RD finder of choice due to the finder circles and Telrad star charts making it a handy piece of kit for finding those elusive DSO's. So regards reasonably priced I think your best bet would be to keep an eye on the classified sections on SGL, UKB&S or eBay. Telrads usually sell S/H for £25-£30 and RA finders between £35-£45 depending on objective and if the image is corrected.

Hope this helps.

I have an Orion 9x50 right-angle finder and have found it far more comfortable to use than a standard 6x30 finderscope. The extra light grasp of a 50mm finderscope means you can actually see quite well through it and pick out fainter targets than in a 30mm one, so they are good for star hopping. I have owned a 6x30, a straight-through 9x50 and a right-angle 9x50 and the right angle one has been by far the best in my experience.

I had a Regal finder fitted to my Dob,it stands a bit higher than the Telrad so you dont have to get so close to the OTA.

Also have you looked at the Dobs group Forum . There is a Mod there for putting setting circles on the Dob base, use that with a Wiksey angle gauge and you just need to get the co-ords from Stellerium to point the Dob in the right direction

Archived