Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at star trailing

Hi folks

Decided to have a go at some star trails and here's my first attempt. I haven't got a remote shutter control so tried to fashion something with a rubber band in the darkness but it snapped so I just held my finger on the button while looking out for satellites/shooting stars.

Any thoughts how I can improve in time for our next clear night (we might have a while)? I like how I was able to bring out the colours of the stars showing their stages, shame about the blurring of the tree though.

Thanks,

James

post-19972-13387765161_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

Very good first attempt. Nice framing and the star colour is good!

Is it just 1 exposure? The other method is to use shorter exposures (20-30secs) but do lots of them. Use a programme (www.Startrails.de-Home is good) to combine them. That way, if you have light pollution or the Moon is about, it has less of an effect.

Also, the stars look out of focus. You should take some test shots (1-5secs) and zoom in on the camera screen, while tweaking focus until the stars are as pinpoint as you can get them. If you have liveview that works better too although you need a bright star.

Hope this helps a bit and look forward to more images! Congrats on your first one!

Jordan

Great photo! I would try a low ISO, get a shutter cord like you mentioned, and go at least 10 minutes with the exposure on a fixed tripod. Pointing at Polaris gives a cool effect, and point a little higher off the ground to avoid light pollution. Good luck:)

I would take shorter exposures depending on your lens lets say a 14mm f2.8 running at 15secs take a few hundred shots this keeps the image from being over exposed with a full moon so trial and error. I would use the short exposure and combine the few hundred images

Les

Archived