Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rise up Jupiter.....

Hello all.

Its been a while since I have posted on the forum but I am happy to be back once again!

I have a question on Jupiter, Can someone advise me on how long I will have to wait till it gets higher in the sky earlier.

I go to bed at night an from our bedroom window I can see it rising its such a bright object. Yet at around 12am it is still quite low. Too low for me to see from my back garden where I can only set up my scope :-( I even checked the other night at 1.30am and it just wont appear above the roof of my house...

How long will I have to wait till its higher in the sky earlier on? are we talking weeks or months.

I only got chance to see it once when I first bought my scope back in (I think) February. It was low in the sky then just above the horizon but fortunately it was westerly in the sky so I could observe from the back garden.

It is frustrating seeing it there every night but not being able to scope it!!! I know that using Stellarium Mars is not far behind it either.

Thanks in advance

For me its going to be mid November before it reaches my N/S meridian at a comfortable time for me to observe it from my west facing garden. but ill be out way before that im sure. It does rise at a around 11PM now I think so I need to find someone with an east facing garden!!!. If you run Stellarium forward it will show you.

And just as a date for your diary Jupiter is closest to us on October 27th at a distance of 3.969AU according to Stellarium........at about 20:30 lol

Not sure how accurate Stellarium is but running the simulation is fun and made me feel dizzy!!

Thanks very much guys. I guess I will just have to be patient. Just bought a 6mm plossl (meade) second hand, just for the Jupiter occasion.

It is still hard to get my head around these distances Jupiter is what some mere 360 million miles away. When is the next bus?

In the winter whilst in good dark skies I was armed with my Left turn at Orion, looking at DSO's then finding out how far away they where. And here is me thinking the drive to the Lake district the other week as a long way (175mile)

Once again thanks. I am looking forward to looking at some of our planets though not sure with my limited mirror size of 130p will show much more than Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn was quite something so am hoping for better things out of Jupiter.

Archived