Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Failed night

Pavel

Tonight I planned to admire constellation of Hercules (M 13 and others); 1.08 AM (BST+1) I expected to look NOSS 3-4 (:icon_scratch:. Before 1 AM I hurried to go out from house that fifteen minutes later I reached to my place of observations. I know my places good but first time I met so many mosquitoes. I can not to raise head because these ones attacked me. :)

I can not to use a light. After ten minutes I resigned. Never before I saw so big swarm of mosquitoes on my fields, neither at the lake nor in mountains. I came back home.

So, by way of compensation I saw a couple of Iridium; 2.27 AM Iridium 90 and 84 in constellation of Corona Borealis; one after the other; the same lat and lon; second flare brighter in plus -3 mag. Nice double.

Hard luck. I was in Uganda once, where mosquitoes are more than just a pest, and used an insect repellent based on a high concentration of DEET ( N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide). Applied liberally, it worked at keeping them at bay (it was a gel, rather than a spray). You can even get outdoor clothes impregnated with the stuff. Should this problem return, you could try that stuff.

My uncle is bee-keeper :) that I can to borrow his hat. :icon_scratch:

Nevertheless tonight I noticed the sky is partially covered by clouds that I must to wait for better time. ISS I saw only 10-15 seconds (about 10.28 PM in Hercules; BST+1) and that one vanished among low clouds.

Oh no mosquitos would be enough to put me off too. I recall being caught in my shorts without repellant at dusk one evening in Italy and was ravaged by them came away with about 70 bites was scratching for weeks. Yeah deet is the stuff and for backup there are mosquito repellant mobile phone apps which allegedly work but only on phones with speakers that support high freq audio.

Archived