Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 by Moonlight

swamp thing

Hi

Got my first glimpse of M33 This year, last night. Always gets my blood racing to see my favourite of the face on spirals.

Not easy though with a half Moon in the same area of sky.

Could just pick it out of the Moonlit background with the scope.

Cannot wait for the new moon to see it in all it's glory. The spiral arms are a killer sight on this one.

Anyone else seen it this year yet?

Regards Steve

Sounds exciting .. through the big dob?

How would views with the 10 inch compare to 16? ... its a massive upstep but am interested in a real viewpint from somerone that has both :)

Sounds exciting .. through the big dob?

How would views with the 10 inch compare to 16? ... its a massive upstep but am interested in a real viewpint from somerone that has both :rolleyes:

Yeah through my larger scope.

I only use my 10" locally which doesn't really allow objects like this a fair crack, but I do remember seeing some spiral structure with it many years ago from a darker sky.

Through the 16" from a dark sky (without a Moon) this is an object I can observe all night. The detail is simply breathtaking.

I still love using my 10" I guess that's testament to how good I think this size scope is.

Well done in moonlight. I got it a couple of time from France this year. It was best in my 80mm APM and 15x70 bins on August 3 and 4
Thanks Michael. I was surprised myself as the Moon was pretty bright.

It's a wonderful object in bins from a dark site aint it?

Regards Steve

M33 is such a difficult object! I could just about see the spiral, but it was so faint i dare not make that claim. I like a challange and i believe the seeing was very poor last night. Tho i wont complain, the weather now is aweful. We got very lucky to have a clear sky all the way to 4am. Look forward to the next meet, and i keep fingers crossed for <90 moisture content!

• 2 weeks later...

Through the 16" from a dark sky (without a Moon) this is an object I can observe all night. The detail is simply breathtaking.

I agree with you 100% Steve. I've seen a wealth of structure in M33 with my 16" from a moderate sky. The clumps of brightness I get in the spiral arms are breathtaking

Archived