Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C9.25 and a guide scope

My current set up is a Celestron 9.25 on a CG5-GT head, mounted on a fixed pier, in a Skyshed POD.

I am looking at fitting a guide scope on the C9.25, probably a ST80 and was wondering which would be the best way to "mate" the two together.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I've got an 80ED attached to mine with an ADM mini dovetail and 125mm rings. Works fine.

You will need an extra 5kg counterweight though and I would recommend a stronger dovetail for the scope/mount interface - the vixen I have isn't really solid enough.

You can usually fix some appropriate sized guide scope rings on top of the main tube rings to piggy back an ST80. But you will get some amount of flexure.

Another solution worth consideration would be to use an off axis guider (oag) instead - the Celestron one rotates 140 degrees to find a guide star. :)

How would an OAG be on a scope like a 925, though? I only ask because my OAG usually only offers (at most) half a dozen stars in any given field, and that's on an f/5.3 scope. Would an f/10 scope not be a bit dark for an OAG?

OAGs and "dark" scopes are a nice pair. I was/I'm using Celestron Radial Guider with C8/C11 now and it does work - I can do 600-900 sec exposures (with DSI III Pro + reducer). Sometimes it's hard to find a guide star but if you have one - the guiding must work (and if it doesn't then something is wrong, badly - like guiding settings, scope balance, very very fast drift, poor gude cam...)

I'm also testing finder-guide-scope: http://oi51.tinypic.com/29ftp4j.jpg - first try showed it can "work" (NGC7009 at 0,49 arcsec/pix test) but still I don't have any data for 600-900 sec with a reducer on a reasonable resolution :icon_scratch: The advantage is that it sees a lot of stars and the target in a big FOV :)

Archived