Need some advice

Hi there guys, I need your knowledge in assisting me on buying a decent telescope.

My 21st is coming up in a week or so, and I would like a telescope for it, the price range is £250. I would like to be able to see the planets in some detail, but to also be able to see deep-space objects like nebulae etc.

I have been looking at this telescope but I think having one like that will take the fun out of finding stuff myself.

I am grateful for any help. (I know you're probably annoyed with people asking this by now)

Hi and welcome to the forum !.

To get the best views for your budget, dropping the computerized mount option will enable you to get a larger aperture scope - and more aperture (the diameter of the main lens or mirror) is what delivers the better views.

The dobsonian mounted newtonian scopes give the best performance per £ spent. Here is a 6" aperture dobsonain that is well within your budget:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

For a little more than your budget (£280) you could have an 8" version which, of course, delivers even better views.

the 200P is obviously a fantastic scope but its pretty big. when i was going through the scope chosing process the 200P was on my list but eventually i opted for the smaller 150P as its 750mm focal length makes it a doddle to store. I also went for an eq3-2 mount and bought tracking motors so i could get some basic planetary shots but i think you can still achieve this with a dob tbh

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

as for gadgets a couple of must haves imo are a telrad finder and a good sky chart

Telrad Reflex Finder | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas: Amazon.co.uk: Roger W. Sinnott: Books

The 8" Dob with a Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder is a great starting point.

Extra / better eyepieces can be added latter if desired but the supplied EP's are plenty good enough to get you going.

Not too big when its in its upright storage position :) - it's footprint is around 24" x 24" and it's around 48" tall.

i suppose when on paper it doesnt sound very big. I guess just a little to big for me at the moment. Need to put mine well out of reach of little fingers!!

i suppose when on paper it doesnt sound very big. I guess just a little to big for me at the moment. Need to put mine well out of reach of little fingers!!

I completely understand that need - fortunately mine have grown up now but it was not that long ago that I had the same concerns :)

untill someone mentioned it to me i hadnt even considered storage. i can imagine now i nice shiney 8" dob in the corner of the lounge being a "toast posted down the ota" magnet lol

Go for the 150P on an EQ3/2. My first scope and will never lose it. Fantastic all-rounder and good value for money too! Look here!

Easy to store and quick to set up too. Dobs are great but if you fancy a little astrophotograpy too the mount will let you (sorry Dob owners :) )

Good luck on whatever you decide and don't get aperture hungry too soon!

J

It's certainly not a stupid question - but relax, a Telrad will fit almost any scope. First you attach a special sticky pad (permanent, but can be removed), and then you attach the finder to the pad. Extra sticky pads can be obtained if you need them in the future - e.g. for new scopes. Sounds flimsy but is actually very firm, and the Telrad is an excellent piece of kit. Highly recommended.

And much as I love my own Mak on GoTo, I would have to second (or third.....:)) the previous recommendations of a 150 or 200 dobsonian. A modest amount of maintenance (collimation - see elsewhere on SGL), and the views will be superb.

Archived