Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron X-Cell LX 7mm Eyepiece - First Impression

johninderby

I bought this eyepiece primarily for white light solar observing. My favourite eyepiece for this has been my Pentax XF zoom.

I had previously done a head to head comparison between the Pentax zoom and a Baader ortho for solar observing, and it came out as a tie for sharpness and contrast. With the zooms advantage of greater FOV and of course the zoom ability, it was the winner and I kept the zoom and said goodbye to the BGO.

So with this as a reference I compared the 7mm X-Cell LX and the Pentax zoom. After what seemed like endless swapping back and forth I'm still not sure which is better. One time the Pentax showed more detail and another time the LX showed more detail, but this was just down to changes in the seeing. I think 7mm was just a bit too much mag most of the time and a 9mm would have been more suitable today. Although when the seeing improved occasionally the 7mm really impressed with it's sharpness and contrast and lack of distortion.

I did try the 25mm X-Cell LX with a 2.5x Powermate and indeed this was a more suitable mag today.

Looking forward to some proper night-time observing to confirm if it's as good overall as the 18mm and 25mm X-Cell LX but first impressions indicate it will be.

John

It does sound like this could prove to be a very good range.

Yes I think so. I'm very impressed with them so far. Televue Radian like views but at less than half the price. I'm waiting though until I've had the chance to give the 7mm a workout in my f4.5 dob before I give my final opinion.

I think I'll be getting a couple more of them. :rolleyes:

John

John these are certainly very good EPs for the money. I will be interested in your final opinion of this EP after you try it in your Dob.

I recently obtained a StellarVue 80mm finderscope which allows 1.25" EPs to be used. I tried the 18mm I bought from you - it was fantastic - 3.5 degree ish FOV :rolleyes:

I am thinking of getting the 25mm X-Cel LX to try in the finderscope - 5 degree FOV.

Mark

Thanks for your thoughts on these John. I almost bought the 7mm a few weeks back but a used Nirvana popped up on ABS for the same money so i snapped it up.(Very impressed with it so far) I am going to give the 5mm LX a go though. If as you say they give Radian like performance they are a bargain at that money.

Archived