Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO FLT 132 focuser problem

I have a new (purchased this year) FLT 132 which already has a replacement DDG focuser. Although this one works...it does not reach focus at infinity with any of my eyepieces even though it is fully racked out!

The replacement DDG on the FLT 132 doesn’t reach focus with any of my eyepieces unless I release the star diagonal and pull it out of the draw tube by about 25mm and lift the eyepiece up out of its mounting slightly. Only then do I achieve perfect focus. I don’t understand why this should be…..? I am getting a bit nervous when I see an expensive star diagonal and Panoptics, Naglers and Pentaxs all hanging on by a whisker! Is there an adjustment somewhere I am missing? confused.giffrown.gif

For some reason WO like to make their telescopes about half the length that they need to be. Your situation is rather extreme in that even in visual use, with a diagonal, you can't reach focus. That is downright ludicrous but, as suggested above, the extender will sort it. I would demand a free one since, without it, the instrument is not fit for purpose.

I'd also write to the supplier and/or WO because they have been perpetrating this nonsense for years.

Olly

For some reason WO like to make their telescopes about half the length that they need to be. Your situation is rather extreme in that even in visual use, with a diagonal, you can't reach focus. That is downright ludicrous but, as suggested above, the extender will sort it. I would demand a free one since, without it, the instrument is not fit for purpose.

I'd also write to the supplier and/or WO because they have been perpetrating this nonsense for years.

Olly

Ouch.

Didn't realise this was a common problem with W.O.'s :)

Agree on the free adapter. Should be a std accessory.

Andy

My own 132FLT comes to focus with all of my eyepieces but i think i read that they changed the optical design recently which may have changed things.

It is easier to add an extender than take off tube length for binoviewers etc. but I do agree that if you need an extender, it should be provided free.

Cheers

This is an in interesting situation. I purchased the scope from Ian King who I am sure is not aware of any problems regarding coming to focus or he would have said so. He has been most supportive in every way regarding past items. He's away on holiday at the moment so I can't get an answer from him. But I do agree with the theme here that the scope is not 'fit for purpose' if it cannot allow sharp focus in the accepted manner viz: with star diagonal and eyepieces mounted in tight and flush.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived