NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neodymium filter - worth a purchase ??

Telescope40

Hi, I keep seeing comments on a few threads now about the Neodymium filter and how it seems to improve planetary viewing. Is it really noticable ? Looking to get some good sessions with Jupiter soon. With its position over the next few months combined with a good filter I'm hoping to see some good detail.

May need to make a purchase

Thx for any feed back. John

Hi John

I have the 2" version and use it mainly as a moon filter when the moon is more than 50% illuminated. I sometimes use it on Jupiter too although there's a colour shift from memory to more of a blue tone which I am never keen on. I think it does reveal a little more detail though. It's also potentially useful as a light pollution filter too.

So as it's effectively a 3 in 1 filter, certainly worthwhile having it in the case I feel.

Others have said the Skywatcher light pollution filter is very similar if not identical but I am not sure about the quality of polishing coatings etc, although I have no reason to doubt that the SW one will be very good too.

It's funny you say there is a colour shift Shane as I gave my SW LPR filter a go on the moon the other night and that showed a light blue appearance also. I think the rumors are true although I doubt they are both coming out the same factory they may well be using the same ingredients.

I notice the shift more on Jupiter than the moon. For me I prefer not to use a filter on the moon unless it's more than 50% illuminated but when it is I think the Baader filter creates more contrast between the mares and the hills/craters etc. That said, so does more power.

I don't think the SW one currently does any UV/IR blocking though - which makes the Neodymium more useful if you'll be doing video or CCD astronomy with it later on.

Personally I found was of no help to me whatsoever when it came to light pollution and sent it back to FLO... :)

The Neodymium from Baader has a coating that allows you to clean it by hand without fear of damaging the surface, Skywatcher version does not state this advantage, so one must assume that its coating isn't as durable. All filters potentially can help a little but they aren't magic bullets. I have one of these and for me, that difference was worth it.

James

I have both the SW LPF and the Baader Neodymium filter in 2", and WRT sodium street light pollution, I find that the Baader is significantly more effective at reducing the orange/yellow glow - if I look at the street light (just the other side of our garden hedge :rolleyes:) through the SW, there's still a bright ball: if I look through the Baader, I can see the details of the light fitting, and the outline of the tube in it - significantly less transmission.

I haven't done any CCD-based measurements of the difference, though.

YMMV of course.

From time to time I have used mine in company with my venerable Toucam on the Moon and the results have been very pleasing.

Bought the filter for a good price at Astrofest several years ago and it has been more than worth the money.

Geoff

Archived