NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is any one doing the UCLAN university distant learnin

garethmob

My background is biomedical and science communication - and very little physics and maths!

The Intro to Astronomy is relatively straightforward in terms of its maths content - a small amount of trig, powers of 10, logarithms, rerranging equations.

I can't recommend it enough - does what it say's on the tin and the residential course was worth every penny

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Intro to Astronomy is relatively straightforward in terms of its maths content - a small amount of trig, powers of 10, logarithms, rerranging equations.

I can't recommend it enough - does what it say's on the tin and the residential course was worth every penny

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

• 3 months later...

I'm doing the first module but I may unfortunately have to resit it as I for a large chunk of the course didn't have Internet connection so couldn't access the content. It is really good though

Ididnt know that. I only earn 10k they didn't tell me when they had my module fee :) is it just for people who haven't been to uni?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing the first module but I may unfortunately have to resit it as I for a large chunk of the course didn't have Internet connection so couldn't access the content. It is really good though

Ididnt know that. I only earn 10k they didn't tell me when they had my module fee :) is it just for people who haven't been to uni?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No its for anyone. I have a BSc and an MSc (that I paid for before anyone starts on me!), but I enquired, and because I am part time in my job which drops my pay rioght down, and they do not take partners earnings into consideration then there are no fees to be paid.

I have just had an email from admissions saying it £375 for UK residents, bit steep for me, will have to see what sflowers thinks :rolleyes: may have to look for a cheaper one, would be nice to have something to work on when its cloudy :)

i really should of found that out whats the chances they would let me resit at that price? as i paid for the first time

i worked it out after 6 years (as long as you do the modules when they tell you, it ends up with the degree at around the same price it was for one year full time at my uni *but we shall not speak about glamorgan uni and how rubbish they are*

UCLAN charge £375 per module if you are just doing one of the university certificates, or £475 if you are doing them as part of a certHe dipHE or BSc

Module Fees

Compare this to OU though:

Fees and Funding in England | Fees 2012 | Study Explained | Open University

if you do 18 modules at UCLAN, it works out at £8550 over 9 years (if you do 2 modules a year)

For the equivalent 360 credits at OU it would cost you £15,000!:)

i did 3 years (sorry i got the numbers wrong its 10500) had to resit my second year due to famly problems but because of various uni related problems (servers holdin work breaking, flooding ect) they wouldnt accept a important project off me said i had to resit again, which i couldnt personally afford to pay 1/3 of my wage so i was left with that :) any way lets not get too off topic now :rolleyes:

When I looked at the OU fees, they look to be almost double what UCLAN are asking for per module. I think if you are earning over £16k and you can't get the fees waived, the module fees at UCLAN are reasonable.

the ou offers income related funding though, which i have so far found very flexible

Archived