NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C80ED Solar filter

Bladeflyer

As we're having such wonderfully clear nights....mmmm, maybe not.... I thought it was about time to have a think about solar viewing. After reading a lot on here, and some other forums, I came across an article on Astrochat where someone had mad a filter for their C80 using a soil pipe connector and Baader film, so I thought I'd give it a go.

So, off I popped to my local Wickes, and ordered an A4 sheet of film from FLO.

First Light Optics - Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0

Single Socket Soil Pipe Connector - Soil & Vent - Guttering & Drainage -Building Materials - Wickes

As the original post stated, the pipe connector was a remarkably close fit. There is a ridge on the inside that sits on the c80's dewsheild so it stays in place nicely.

IMG_1108.jpg

The original poster also added 3 nylon screws to hold the connector in place. Not having access to a tap set, I decided to go for a friction fit. All it needed for a good snug fit was 4 double thickness strips of insulation tape at 12,3,6,9 positions. This gave a really good fit that will not slip off on it's own.

For the end that was going to hold the filter, that needed a little work.

Firstly, I popped off the retaining ring and removed the rubber seal.

IMG_1106.jpg

On the inside of the retaining ring, there is a ridge that needed removing. Mr Stanley made short work of this...

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

I then cut the solar film to rough size and placed it on a flat surface. I attached a few pieces of double sided tape to the top of the connector to temporarilly hold the film in place.

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

I then reinstalled the retaining ring...

IMG_1119.jpg

And trimmed the excess. I finished by wrapping some tape around the connector and ring to make it more secure.

IMG_1120.jpg

I haven't tried it yet though the scope, as I want to find a similar item that'll fit my 50mm finder.

Hope some of you find this useful.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just seen this, try a short length of 4" pipe in the adapter or cut the end off a suitable connector (we did this). This will fit inside the dew shield. We cut our adapter down to the raised shoulder to help act as a stop. Not as nice as fitting over the shield but OK.

JCJC's Dad

Archived