NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refurbished or Used?

JohnnyD333

Hello SGL,

Just a question of personal opinion. I was looking at numerous cameras and other equipment over the past few days. I could not decide whether I would purchase something used or refurbished. For example, a Canon 1000d was listed as used and another as refurbished. Very similar prices, both claiming to be "like new". What would be the wise choice? My only guess is that the refurbished could have been totally rebuilt. Thanks again:icon_salut:

Totally depends on the seller and the venue for the sale imo.

I have no problem with secondhand gear myself, if fact I have very little that I have bought "NEW" in the way of large value Astro gear only my CCD.

I've just bought a Canon 450d refurb off e-bay. Sold by an authorised Canon outlet centre, I did call Canon UK to check and it was a legitimate site. Camera came with a 12 month warranty, when it arrived the unit was new. A slight dent in the box, probably by the Post man? Otherwise came complete with a lens and all the extras, I paid under £300 for it, well chuffed for the price. It might be worth you keeping an eye out on e-bay?

Thank you.

i actually bought (non astro item) :) a ipod mini the ipod tha was before the nano refirbished from apple, they had replaced the screen, brand new higher battery, recased it (it was origionally pink now blue) and as the origional was personalised with text on the back they had replicated it (it says billy bunton:S:S:S) and it came with a warentee

The mechanism that flicks the mirror up and operates the shutter in the canon DSLRs has a finite life span on it. I can't remember where but I vaguely remember reading a figure of around 50,000. This seems a lot but if each imaging run is 100 frames then you've only got around 500 imaging sessions before the mechanism will wear out (if 50,000 is the magic number). I've had my 1000D for two years and it's done nearly 30,000 shots so it doesn't take all that long for them to add up.

What's the point of all that? well if a refurbished 1000D has already had quite a few thousand shots taken and the mechanism hasn't been replaced then you're probably better off buying a new one - my opinion anyway.

Sam

Archived