Mount help?

I want an EQ with Goto, I have an EQ3-2 at the moment.

Do I get an upgrade kit? Don't really fancy fitting it though!

Do i trade it in for an EQ3-2 Pro or go the whole hog and buy an EQ5 Pro? Trouble is I could buy a 10" Dob for the same money (not Goto I know!). really undecided, help would be appreciated!!:smiley:

Since you mention the dob, if you have a bigger scope in your head then you will want one. The three hundred for the goto upgrade isn't really worth in my opinion, not when you look at goto mount packages.

One option is buying the dob with an aim to eventually mounting it on a suitable goto mount. Another is trading in the EQ3-2 and getting a HEQ5 or EQ6 pro or similar. You can get a few quid for tje one you have, add that to the money you have for the upgrade you're not that far off a HEQ5 syntrek. You can the get the best out of the telescope you have with rock steady views. I've done something similar using eqmod on the desktop and it's like magic.

I agree £300 to upgrade an EQ3 is a bit too much. You can get a SW EQ5 or Celestron CG5 with goto for around £350 in new condition from the second hand market (or circa £500 new). That will handle the 150 more than adequately even if you add in an ST80 guide scope.

But if you go for an 8" newt I'd want an HEQ5, or 10" newt EQ6 at least. Great for observing but acts like a sail in windy conditions. Alternatively 10" on a Dob mount with motors is about £650 new - maybe around £500 s/h - but forget imaging anything but planets.

All depends on what you want to do and what your budget is really :smiley:

To throw one more option into the mix, I know that Orion USA has GoTo dobs now, and I'm betting that you would be able to buy one in the UK before too long. You can see it <HERE>, they also make 10", 12" and 12" truss tube models. Prolly more than you wanted to spend, but the technology tends to become more affordable as more vendors / manufactures get into the game. The thing that appeals to me with these is that you can use them as a standard Dob (with no alignment issues) if you didn't want to turn on the computer and align the scope.

Best of both worlds??? I have seen one at the PATS astro show in California, but have not had the chance to use one yet. They certainly look interesting!

Dan

Thanks all, decided on a EQ 5 Pro and trading in my EQ3-2,

Dan, those Goto Dobs look great, might grab one when I retire in 2 years time (Maybe will be able to afford one then as well! ha ha) thanks everyone.

I am sure you'll like the EQ5 pro but for me it all depends on whether or not you are imaging. for visual observing (I only do this, no imaging) I prefer more aperture as although GOTO is no doubt a useful feature, I feel it will soon become frustrating as you quickly work through the targets that you can see as the GOTO finds them for you, and then move onto the more testing targets where you need more aperture. so, although you will have them in the field of view, you won't be able to see them or only a vague hint of them.

I found that for higher magnifications (e.g. 100x plus) tracking was more important than goto as it can be frustrating when you lose and object even when just changing eyepieces!

due to this I made myself an equatorial platform on which you just stand your dob. just some further thoughts to confuse you!

Archived