NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Skies info needed for Cardigan area

Polar Bear

Me and the Mrs are taking a camping holiday in September to combine chilling out , the countryside , the seaside and some star gazing. It would appear we have found the perfect spot at Nant Y Croi Farm which is a few miles north of Cardigan on the coast. Just wondered if anyone had experience of the sky and light pollution in that area, It looks good on the need-less light pollution website.

Paul

iv never been there personally paul but for 2 years i lived with some one (uni housemate)who came from cardigan in the bay areas and she always used to tell me how clear and dark the skys all were cos of the sea

to my knowlage theres a few members who live in that near area may be able to offer more help! but id imagine it be perfect

iv never been there personally paul but for 2 years i lived with some one (uni housemate)who came from cardigan in the bay areas and she always used to tell me how clear and dark the skys all were cos of the sea

to my knowlage theres a few members who live in that near area may be able to offer more help! but id imagine it be perfect

Thanks for that, it does seem to be one of the darker parts of the UK

It looks seriously dark to me and I'm hoping so as I'll be spending a week there (near Cardigan) soon. Problem is finding a spot where one can observe in privacy... you can get a little fed up with the usual "Can you see Uranus with that telescope?" questions...

James

That area will be really dark. There are some lovely places to visit around there too. I love Mwnt. Aberporth just up the coast is well worth a visit, and the Harbourmaster there is a great place to eat. If you're into walking the Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion coast paths are wonderful.

Helen

That area will be really dark. There are some lovely places to visit around there too. I love Mwnt. Aberporth just up the coast is well worth a visit, and the Harbourmaster there is a great place to eat. If you're into walking the Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion coast paths are wonderful.

Helen

Cenarth Falls on the river Teifi is worth a look.

Cenarth and Cenarth Falls in the Teifi valley

Thanks everyone on the info and interesting nearby places. We have decided on a cottage in St Dogmaels. Just checked Stellarium and it is a full Moon on the 10th (the day we arrive) But Jupiter is favourable also Mars, and maybe a glimpse of Mercury in the early hours that week. Thankfully I have just got a F15 refractor ! :)

Paul

Just checked Stellarium and it is a full Moon on the 10th (the day we arrive) But Jupiter is favourable also Mars, and maybe a glimpse of Mercury in the early hours that week. Thankfully I have just got a F15 refractor ! :)

Paul

Always plan my hols away from the summer solstice (nights too light) and around a new moon. October Half Term is looking good this year as is Christmas!

Archived