Just to make sure!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
has anyone got a link to this gso ep kit froma uk seller

Buy Eyepiece Kits for Astronomy from Green Witch

Think I got my wires a bit crossed in this thread.

I have used these eyepieces and in my opinion for what you get for the money they are a worthy buy, especially if you are just starting out and want to have a few bits and pieces to play around with with all that new enthusiasm for a new hobby. I don't see where you can go wrong. Especially if you are younger when there is nothing like having your own box of tools for the job!

This is a great little big box of tricks...

I've seen this offer before - it's a great way of getting the GSO Plossl kit at the lowest possible price. It includes a moon filter - but not the coloured filters - and the only downside is that this version of the kit doesn't contain the 12mm Plossl (in fact it's been photoshopped out of the picture; if you look closely you can see the edit! :smiley: )

(*actually, it's the 9mm they photoshopped out, but since you can't see the label I guess they figured it didn't matter :) )

I think some of us like the EP kits and some of us don't. If I could have afforded the GSO Revelation kit when I started observing I would have got it. A couple of years down the line and I know they are worth the money, and more importantly, I would have got good use out of them too.

Agreed. Whilst I'd not recommend buying kit you don't need, this kit contains a variety of eyepieces that allow you to try things out and get to find out what works for you and what doesn't and how things look at different magnifications. They're reasonable quality eyepieces at a reasonable price (or they were when I bought them -- I've not checked the price recently or what's in the kit).

If you read posts from people asking what scope they should buy then you'll often see the suggestion that they should get to a local club and see if they can try some different ones out. That wouldn't be such a bad idea for eyepieces either. But failing that, having a set that isn't painfully expensive that you can get some experience with is no bad thing.

James

I've seen this offer before - it's a great way of getting the GSO Plossl kit at the lowest possible price. It includes a moon filter - but not the coloured filters - and the only downside is that this version of the kit doesn't contain the 12.5mm Plossl (in fact it's been photoshopped out of the picture; if you look closely you can see the edit! :smiley: )

(*actually, it's the 9mm they photoshopped out, but since you can't see the label I guess they figured it didn't matter :) )

The FLO version contains the 12mm ep and the coloured filters:

First Light Optics - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

For the extra cost I'd probably go for the FLO one and have the extra EP plus the filters. The colour filters are probably the only thing from my set that don't see regular use and since someone mentioned that a green filter can help with contrast when viewing the sun with Baader solar film, I'll be trying that out if we ever see the sun again.

James

The FLO version contains the 12mm ep and the coloured filters

Indeed - that's the version that everyone seems to sell now - the SnS one is noteworthy as they seem to be the only people selling a version without the filters which - as you say - don't get much use.

At the time I bought my version of the kit (at £100) the cut-down version *did* include the 12mm eyepiece. That's useful for me as I have an F15 scope, but for most people I suspect the interval from 9mm to 15mm is probably OK.

I think what some of us are over looking in our haste to offer accessories advice is that the George is obviously new to astronomy and as far as I am to believe has not yet had the skies clear to allow an insight into what the heavens have to offer. While grey smudges and long nights with out sleep may work for us it's not necessarily going to be every newbies cup of Earl grey. George is in a heavily LP area and we are all aware of how unfavorable that can be to the hobby even for hardened astronomers. While certain pieces of kit are advantageous to the hobby, scopes new out of the box do come supplied with enough equipment to get you out under the stars. I know when I first started out I was very eager as I'm sure most are but I know I wish I hadn't bought half the stuff I did. I remember I'd purchased a Celestron LPR filter thinking it was going to work miracles and bring out details on distant galaxies only to find I would use it maybe 4 times in 6 years. So I agree with others when they say give it a go first or at least visit an astronomy club and have a look through others EP before splashing the cash.

My advice is: "Just use it" then when you're ready you'll know what eyepiece/s you want.

Regards Steve

I did that. Realising I couldn't see as much of M31 as I wanted to led to me buying a 32mm plossl, my much-loved GSO Revelation :)

Did I know what I wanted? Well, I didn't know which eyepiece model I wanted, though I did know roughly what size, but I could have just as easily bought a 36mm or 40mm. It was budget and the good advice in my local astro shop (Scopes'n'Skies), that did it.

After that I've built up my own version of the kits so I had a range of eyepieces, for every occasion, as it were. I'm now building a collection of Hyperions, but I'm definitely keeping my plossls.

If I could start over again I would have no hesitation in buying a GSO Revelation kit :smiley:

LOL I remember when I was that eager to spend cash. Hope the EP's work out for you :)

George! :smiley:

Kit :

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Cheshire Collimanator

My Signature you have there!

Did I know what I wanted? Well, I didn't know which eyepiece model I wanted, though I did know roughly what size, but I could have just as easily bought a 36mm or 40mm. It was budget and the good advice in my local astro shop (Scopes'n'Skies), that did it.

After that I've built up my own version of the kits so I had a range of eyepieces, for every occasion, as it were. I'm now building a collection of Hyperions, but I'm definitely keeping my plossls.

If I could start over again I would have no hesitation in buying a GSO Revelation kit :smiley:

I don't need a range of eyepiece for every occasion.

A few carefully selected quality eyepieces do me for every occasion.:)

Regards Steve

Archived