Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barlow issue..need advise

hey guys. last night i used for the 1st time my 3X barlow to view the moon. previous i had a 5x, but i exchange it with 3x b/c i didnt had enough focuser length to have a crisp image ! now, with 3x, it seems to have the same issue. my question to you guys is if i use 3x on DSO or other planets, witch are further away comparing to the moon, i should have the same issue? in my head i have the idea that if the object is further away, i will have enough focuser length to see a good image ! i didnt had a chance to test my idea last night, but like i said: that's in my head for now. need some advise here (tonight i wanna use 3x on Jupiter to see if i am right, but the confusing is killing me !). please let me know

A Barlow is a negative lens that gets placed a certain distance below the eyepiece by a tube. How much the Barlow increases magnification depends on how long the tube is. If the tube is too long then you're not going to reach focus on any object that is effectively at infinity (i.e. Moon, planets, stars, galaxies etc). You could replace the tube by a shorter one (which will change the amount by which the Barlow increases magnification) or get a different Barlow, or try using different eyepieces. Given that you can't reach focus with x5 or x3, it sounds like maybe what you need is x2.

well, still confused, sorry. i used different EP- i have a Meade 8-24mm- and all gave me the same fussy white image. i could replace it with 2x, but i really wanna push the limit of my scope. we are talking about 150x magnification difference ! is obvious that i dont wanna mess up by playing with the mirrors. tonight will be the final test on planets. it could major impact if i will get a short tube for barlow? mine has a quite long tube -Antares 3x

With an 8mm eyepiece and a 2x barlow you're at 300x magnification already, aren't you? If your seeing is good enough to stand more than that then perhaps a 6mm or 4mm ep combined with the 2x barlow would work.

If you're trying to get 450x magnification though you may well just be asking too much without moving to a mountain in Hawaii.

James

James, you'r right: 8mm allow me a 150x basic+ a 3x barlow i should go to 450x. i thought about getting myself a 3-6 mm EP, but i have to "smooth" the wife to increase the budget (already increased several times ! ;))

....If you're trying to get 450x magnification though you may well just be asking too much without moving to a mountain in Hawaii......

My thoughts exactly James !.

I rarely use more than 250x with my 10" scope, even under excellent viewing conditions.

well, i found the solution for my issue: last night i was trying to see if i can stop at a certain point the barlow from going all in..and it worked! now i have enough focus length to use it ! ;))

Archived