NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first EP

redgiantjohn

Just ordered my first additional EP for my 6" dob from telescopehouse decided I needed an improvement on the 10mm and 25mm that came with the scope so went for the meade 5000series super plossl 5.5mm also got a polarising moon filter so I'm £65 worse off but can't wait for the views with the new additions :)

Hi John

I got my first two additional EP's yesterday and from what folks are saying we'll see a lot of improvement with the new ones compared to the supplied EP's :eek:

Just need clear skies now :headbang::)

Also next time you're after new EP's etc. try Alan at Sky's the limit.

Great service and very reasonably price's :)

P.S My new EP's look and feel much better quality than the supplied one's!

I guess the commercial reality is that the ones supplied "free" with scopes are bound to be of limited quality - just to "get you going" so to speak.

If they included, say, 3 decent quality eyepieces (like the BST Explorers or TMB clones for example) the price of the setup would be around £100 or so higher and they would not look as competative to newcomers to the hobby.

Isn't it odd, that they'll bung Hubble images on the box, then supply frosted glass with the scope?

The standard SW 10mm EP is good for use as a dust cap....

Provided one ignores the aforementioned Hubble images, ones early experiences with (decent) telescopes aught to still be inspiring enough to maintain interest. Subsequent upgrades in EPs can only enhance the views...

i will have to buy some new ones then maybe get a decent one at the end of the month if i can push my luck...

Have you used your scope yet? As a fellow newbie I found Its best to use the supplied eyepieces then you can get a rough idea of what the capabilities/shortcomings are of the EP. I didn't have a problem with the 10mm and 25mm but I had nothing to compare them with I decided to go for a new eyepiece for more magnification I'm sure ill still use the 10 and 25 until I can afford to replace them with better quality:)

The supplied eyepieces aren't truly terrible, so if you expect replacements to completely revolutionalise the view then you may be disappointed. These supplied eyepieces improve over time as production costs drop. For example the Sky-Watcher 10mm eyepieces used to be worse than they are now.

The main problem they have is a slightly "mushy" view, and the 25mm has a very shiny inner barrel, which is very distracting on the moon. Where a Sky-Watcher scope is supplied with a Barlow (not all scopes are), then the "Deluxe" Barlow is not too bad (in fact it won a Sky At Night Magazine Award!), but the "Standard" Barlow falls way below the standards one should expect for a Sky-Watcher product.

Where a Sky-Watcher scope is supplied with a Barlow (not all scopes are), then the "Deluxe" Barlow is not too bad (in fact it won a Sky At Night Magazine Award!), but the "Standard" Barlow falls way below the standards one should expect for a Sky-Watcher product.

;) So which version would be supplied with the 127 Mak? Standard or "Deluxe"? :rolleyes::hello2: Thanks in advance!!

I've got the Deluxe Barlow (and indeed, the "Standard").

You'd probably need to be spending more like £80 upwards to improve on it - although I do hear good things about the Orion Deluxe at £50 (although apparently not suitable for Newtonians.)

Personally I was blown away by the TeleVue 2.5x PowerMate - but it's certainly not cheap...

Archived