Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first view of Jupiter

sulaco

I finally had beautifully clear skies this morning at 3:30 and went out to view Jupiter. I know it's been said a hundred times on this forum but ...WOW!, what a sight, it was stunning and together with a beautiful dawn and a glimpse of Mars.

My few of Mars was a bit of a let down as I simply don't have enough aperture and focal length in the scope to get it at a reasonable size but good to see anyway, I just suppose a sw 200p is on the books then.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my first Jupiter this evening - once it had got out from behind the trees - about an hour ago! There were five moons, the smallest hugging the bottom left of the planet (in my scope, which does have the horizontal correction thing). I can't see which it would be though, from Stellarium which seems to show only the main four. They were spaced neatly, two either side.

I had hoped that it would appear a bit bigger, but you could still make out two bands, though no red spot (though I've a feeling that's not visible at the moment anyway?). I was using a 9mm eyepiece (it's a 660mm scope). Definitely not complaining, though - a fantastic view!

I've been looking at Jupiter for the 1st time this season as well. Nice to see the largest planet again.

The 5th moon you saw is a star - 4 moons are routinely viewable with amateur scopes.

The main "feature" for me is that the South Equatorial Belt (SEB) has returned to it's former glory - it faded to virtually nothing last year and I kind of missed it :)

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is on the other side of the planet tonight, according to my software.

For me it's great seeing this giant planet again - it must be really impressive seeing it for the 1st time :smiley:

I've been looking at Jupiter for the 1st time this season as well. Nice to see the largest planet again.

The 5th moon you saw is a star - 4 moons are routinely viewable with amateur scopes.

The main "feature" for me is that the South Equatorial Belt (SEB) has returned to it's former glory - it faded to virtually nothing last year and I kind of missed it :D

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is on the other side of the planet tonight, according to my software.

For me it's great seeing this giant planet again - it must be really impressive seeing it for the 1st time :)

Hey John what software do you use to see when the red spot is around?

Thought you could find it using Stellarium? The GRS that is.

Ah ha yes it does work thanks. I thought it may be just a still image for the planet that they had used. So it looks like a did view the GRS last night :)

Archived