Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not a great night!!!

DoctorD

Well....

First time in ages that I have had the chance to get out and it was clear.

But...

Decided to get the video camera out.

GOTO did not want to play.

Laptop went flat - battery must be failing.

Dew on the corrector plate.

Only up side is I caught a glimpse

of the Ring Nebula on the screen before the batteries failed.

Bahitov Mask worked a treat - visually and with the camera, even with the x0.5 focal reducer.

Spent the last few minutes looking at the Ring Nebula with the mark 1 eyeball. Could not see the central star - mind you I had dew on the corrector by thus time.

Would you expect to see the central star in 102mm Mak from a light polluted site?

Anyhow - off to bed now.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear your night went a bit wobbly.

Maks and SCT correctors are real dew magnets, so best make yourself a dew shield.

In answer to your question about the central star: Visually the central star of M57 is probably out of the range of your Mak even from a dark sky.

Regards Steve

I've only seen the central star once with my 16" dob, most times is not observable.

Must admit I've only seen it through my 16". Yet to see it through my 10".

I remember some debate on whether it was variable or not as some have seen it through smaller scopes.

Maybe someone else knows?

Regards Steve

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll make a dew shield - any need

to add a heater?

To be honest I was happy just to see the nebula - my DSO in the past have been limited to the Orion Nebula, Plieades and Andromeda through binoculars.

I used a G8 SCT a long while ago but found that finding DSO from my garden was difficult. So I concentrated on lunar and planetary observations.

The G8 is on long term loan to a friend as I was not using it - might be time to reclaim it.

The GOTO is helping me find things that I can see from my location. I'd still like to be able to find them myself.

Clear skies

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived