Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios 150 "Special" First Light (Sol)

Today was sunny, and as everything was done on my Helios 150 project scope and I hadn't actually looked at anything with it since completing the paint job, I mounted it up and inserted the Herschel Wedge to have a look at the Sun.

Having found the balance point (about mid-way - not bad at all) with the wedge in place and got the tube balanced in both axes, I "found" the Sun and inserted a 32mm Plossl.

Prior to the rebuild, the original focuser did not have enough in-travel to bring this, and many other eyepieces, to focus with the solar wedge, so to see the 32mm come to nice sharp focus with the new GSO Linear was very gratifying!

All other eyepieces came to focus too. Although there were not many Sunspots to view, there were some intricate areas of faculae near the limb, and granulation was quite obvious with the great big frac.

Performance was as good as it was before I broke it all up (which is to say excellent) so that too was a relief! I had a very happy couple of hours observing, slewing, playing and admiring in the Sun. Can't wait for a reasonably dark clear night so I can try it under some more distant stars...

Ant :)

post-14001-133877637934_thumb.jpg

post-14001-133877637942_thumb.jpg

post-14001-133877637948_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice Ant :)

It was the collimatable objective lens cell that makes later versions of this scope rather top heavy I think - a lot of metal at the top end of the scope with those.

Looking forward to 1st starlight reports :eek:

A cracking job youve made of that Ant looks very pro. I have still yet to have a look through a Herschel Wedge so am interested in your views. They are far safer than film but are the views as good or better?

Philj

The views through a Herschel Wedge are (to me, at least) sharper with more detail apparent and more "clarity". The 6" performs really well with it, showing granulation easily and amazing detail in areas with faculae.

And thanks! :)

Archived