NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian versus Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5... HELP!

I think after listening to experts on here the image capture adventure should come later as it brings along a lot of expense and i should concentrate on learning the skies first and enjoying the experience........so this brings me to which of the two scopes to look at seriously, ive had feedback about the 200p EQ5 , mostly positive may i add,but wondered what the difference was with the 200p DOBS? i would like to see the moon as close as possible and pheraps rig up to my pc and get to grips with DSO and planets. If i wanted to add the motor device to locate at a later date am i limited with a particular model? please remember to speak in english! haha im still learning!!! Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

The main difference is the mount. A dobsonian is a rocker box that sits on a turntable. Easy to set up and comparatively cheap - can be manual or motor driven.

The EQ5 is an equatorial mount that you polar align. This enables tracking motors to follow objects in the sky in a single plane - needed for imaging.

The dobsonian with motors is accurate enough to track and image planets and moon only because it tracks in two planes (alt/az), but for long exposure on dso's an EQ mount is pretty essential to achieve single plane tracking and the extra accuracy required. Hope that helps :BangHead:

The 200p dob will give you stunning views of the moon, DSOs are down more too sky darkness and light polution levels.

Adding auto tracking is not possible, or it may be but it isnt worth it due too costs involved-if you want GOTO get it from the start.

Imaging is not a cheap game, so i think concentrating on learning the skys and having fun observing too start is a good idea-the Dob is easier to setup- and much easier too use, its comfortable too use-the EQ5 you will end up with the EP pointing in all kinds of directions. The dobs movement is so simple and so effective that for visual use only they are extreamly effective, and the reason why they are so popular amongst visual observers, also the huge majority of your money is going on optics with a dob so you can buy bigger apeture if you wish for the same cash.

The EQ5 will have slow motion tracking controles, and the option to be motor driven-but you have to polar align each time you use it for this too work-the dob you simply take outside and use strait away (after cooldown time dependant on appeture), you quickly learn how too "nudge" the dob to bring objects back in view once they leave the feild of view.

Id go for the dob-i have had EQ mounts and honestly i find them awful for visual-also..you can used a webcam with a dob too get some basic lunar and planetary images.

The optical tubes are not quite the same. The Explorer 200P is 1000mm f/5, while the Skyliner 200P is 1200mm f/6. This means the dob version will give you a bit more magnification with a bit narrower field of view with any particular eyepiece. It will also work a little bit better with cheaper eyepieces.

Both scopes are great for starting out in visual astronomy. The 8" aperture is a very useful size and will give you good views of lots of things. Personally I would chose the dob version because you get the same or better views with a cheaper package and less fuss.

Imaging is a complex subject. It is not as simple as 'point it at the sky and press the shutter'. Even if you decided to get the Explorer on an EQ5 it is a very long way from the ideal, for astrophotography. You would be able to get some images for sure, but it would be a lot of effort and the images would be...basic.

totally agree with Rik.

personally, I'd generally recommend people just do visual for a while, then start spending on the specific gear for their AP once they know more on the subject etc. for me visual = alt az so it's a dob all the way - I hate EQ mounts for visual.

Another vote for the dob. The only down side is you have to make a few modifications to get the best out of the mount. It's not so much an expense but you do need to have a little DIY about yourself to do some of the mods.

I think if you want to take DSO's the only way is with an EQ mount. Setting up and Polar aligning only takes 10mins max and as Brantuk said tracks accurately and avoids star trailing in images. I have an Alt/Az scope and for imaging the moon and planets is no problem but when you come to DSO's your exposure times are at a minimum 30 second frames and you will get star trailing and stars which are not round and crisp on an Alt/Az.

However having the EQ5 Synscan and 200P myself I must admit the mount is at its limits weight wise. My images so far have been good (in my opinion). A better idea for a 200P would be the HEQ5 as a minimum if you want to do DSO imaging.

Neil

Thanks for the correction on the tube sizes Rik :BangHead:

I also agree that the OP should use the scope for a while before attempting imaging.

I would personally opt for the EQ mount to begin with just cos it gives a better understanding of the Earth's movement in relation to the objects in the sky. It's also not so hard to set up - it's only a matter of mins once practised. And if ever you intend to try imaging in the future, the EQ mount will be the more useful option.

If however you only ever intend observing then you can't beat a dob for quick set up and simplicity of operation. ;)

Thank you all so much for your help and advice, i was split down the middle to be honest after reading all the feedback but i have now had a skywatcher explorer 200p eq5 purchased for me by my good lady for my birthday. It was on ebay for £320 and ebay gave me a voucher that got me £48 off getting it for £272! Bargain? it seems so, and even though i will take longer set up it will be a learning curve for me as a reply stated, dealing with the rotation of the earth. Thanks a lot again all of you who helped me. EXCITED!!!

Good luck with the scope and don't worry about your set up. Take your time at first and do it methodicaly and after 3 or 4 times you'll find the set up is really easy and natural. The "good lady" did a good job.

Neil

Archived