Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Query from a wrinkly.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pocket money??? A 1d per day? Wow. You were one of the rich kids I knew. It didn't come my way. Finally got to work and thought wealth was in my pocket. Oh no. £1/week to my mother, 10 bob on train fare and a pound left for me which included taking the girl friend out. She however quickly saw through my apparent wealth and dumped me. Ahhh. So, I returned to 6-7' balsa sailplanes (not gliders) and enjoyed the company of like minded mates. Most of them could afford engines - outta my league.

Who started this thread? Did it have anything to do with star gazing? The thing in common is yet again, budget. Lotto consistently picks the wrong numbers and I am thinking of making a complaint. Old gits are good at that.

I remember only too well, as a kid, how the price of sweets more than doubled as a result of decimalisation. Sweets costing 1d went up overnight to 1p (the eqivalent of 2.4 old pennies).

That will explain why my shopkeeper dad was so enthusiastic! :BangHead:

Car tyres. Now they're a peculiar example of mixed units.

Here in the UK (and US?) we use metric for the tyre width and imperial for the wheel size. e.g. 235 by 16 (235mm by 16 inches).

What do the Euopeans do? Do they have different wheel sizes? so that instead of, say, 16" do they have 400mm?

Steve

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Car tyres! 4 new ones on the wife's car and a month later she wrecked two of them on a kerb. Two months later, all 4 leaked. Back to tyre centre who charged me £48 to seal the valves to the rims. I have a complaint running for this charge and demading refund - now who were they .......... K shoes?

Pounds, shillings and pence were not strange. Was it Saudi Arabia that followed an Arab tradition of having twenty-two somethings to a Ryall?

Even more bizarre was the quantity Surveyor's habit of expressing Imperial quantities apparently in decimal form, e.g.

1.6 plus

1.6 equals

Mind you not as confusing as hexa decimal.

Archived