NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a scope for holidays....

OK all, really not sure what to do about this, but perhaps someone can shed some light on it... (fingers crossed)

First up, I have my 10x50 bins and my Skywatcher130PM, and am really happy with both. We will make a few camping trips this year, including a nice holiday in the Loire Valley, and since the kids will be in bed at 8, and the missus will have her nose in a book, I want to take a scope - seems perfectly reasonable to me :)

Anyhow, 'space' isnt too big an issue, what with the trailer and roof box etc, but I am not keen on packing the 130 OTA since I guess it could get a few bumps and knock the collimation, and even though it is a tiddler in Reflectors, the missus sees a big empty tube.

So, I thought a little refractor would be the thing, but I would rather get one I am going to get a bit of use out of rather than just the odd night on holiday if I am going to buy at all, this said I am looking at maybe the Skywatcher ST80, ST102, possibly an ST120 if I find one cheap enough. But, then I saw I can pick up a WO ZS66 Petzval or a 66 SD Doublet Apo for approx £200 new, and despite the smaller apeture, would this be a better scope for my money and server me well for years to come???

Too much choice, too little money - the age old problem.

I would hope to use this proposed scope for general observing, be it planetary, star etc.. I still get a great buzz out of gazing at Saturn, so that is important to me.

So, given the choice, what would you go for and why??? Come on, help me spend the money I havent got :) :shock:

I bought a ZS66 to take to Africa with me last year - brilliant little scope! Goes in a rucksack for easy carry-on to planes and can be mounted on any decent photo tripod for the ultimate in one handed grab and go. Its great for wide field views and holds collimation absolutely (this was why I was recommended the doublet over the triplet version). Oh, and it looks great too! It was the scope that got me back into astronomy. But if space/size isn't an issue you might want to go for something a little larger to get a bit deeper...

Helen

The ST80, 102 and 120 are great rich field scopes but not too hot on planetary / higher magnification. If I had the cash I'd go for a Takahashi Sky 90 (theres one on Astro buy and Sell at the moment for £800 quid or so :)) or a William Optics Megrez 90. More realistically I might look at Skywatcher 102mm Mak for compactness although it's not really a widefield scope.

It's tricky to find something that combines compactness + widefield + hi magification + affordability. Maybe something like this: http://tinyurl.com/n4ow7

John

yeah, it is a tricky one really, I dont wanna spend too much on this scope as I would rather spend money on a nice SW200 and an HEQ5, but at the same time I want something I am not going to put under the bed and forget about.

Any one have any idea on how the WO ZS66 performs for observation (not astrophotography) on targets like Saturn, M42 and so forth?

(reckon this is one for you Helen :) )

M42 is very a very nice sight in my 66

Saturn needs good conditions and plenty of magnification (its better with a wider view of saturn and its moons)

I have seen the Ring Neb and plenty others and the double cluster is WOW

HTH

Got it out for a quick fifteen minutes last night - and remembered why I really like this scope!! Easy grab and go, no cooling, sparkling views... Tested on Saturn. It held magnification with a 3mm, smallish image, but sharp, and I think I saw the cassini division and the shadow of the planet on the rings. Just sat there looking at it for a while... :) :) It was cold and windy and so had to go in and get to bed, but it was one of those short times where you remember why you love astronomy!

Hope this helps

Helen

PS I like using a couple of zoom eyepieces with it - 8-24 and 3-6, along with my favourite eyepiece the 16mm WO uwan

It was cold and windy and so had to go in and get to bed, but it was one of those short times where you remember why you love astronomy!

It was certainly cold and blowing last night. I lasted 2 hours before giving up.

I had the WO 66 end of last year and it was a great scope for those brief clear moments or going on holiday. And surprisingly capable at high power.

Russ

OTOH, I have packed my reflectors and taken them many miles in my car, without mishap. I will be taking both of my present scopes with me on a trip to Pennsylvania in May, and using them in two locations. I just put them on top of everything, with something soft underneath. Always arrives OK.

OTOH, I have packed my reflectors and taken them many miles in my car, without mishap. I will be taking both of my present scopes with me on a trip to Pennsylvania in May, and using them in two locations. I just put them on top of everything, with something soft underneath. Always arrives OK.

on top of everything, that would be the missus, and something soft underneath.... hmmmm would the kids do??? :)

I agree with that's been said, just come in from very cold looksee at the Moon. It will take the 3-6 zoom all the way with no image breakdown. I remember when I last saw Jupiter through it, sure it was small, but oh so crisp. Haven't used it for photos yet but I've seen some really superb pics taken with it.

If I was in the market for a small scope, I'd still buy this one.

good luck

DAve

Archived