NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big binoculars help needed please...

Hello. Its been quite some time since I last posted on here and astronomy in general has took a back seat for a while due to other 'life' things. Sort of easing back into it again, but at the same time trying to concise my equipment down I madly bought in the past...

I've got a few scopes at the moment including a C6sct and various bino's. The biggest set I had were the Revelation 15x70's, but I've recently dropped them and now they are of no use... Looking to buy some more, but when in Rome so to speak have just ordered the 20x80 Revelations insteaad. Thing is I was sorely tempted with the Revelation 20x100's with Nebula filters... Want something to be my main portable 'attack weapon' when I go camping, etc. I do own a Celestron 500mm c102 refractor also, but my thoughts were some large bin's could replace this travel scope... I know the C102 offers varable mag, but my C6 can take care of that. What I want them to offer is great views of nightime dso's and alike and general stuff in the daytime. So, has anyone an opinion on what would be the best way to go.... Revelation 20x80 on there own or whislt maybe keeping the C102 scope at the same time or the 20x100's with neb filters on there own. Bare in mind the 80's cost about 85 quid and the 100's can be had new for £180..., which is about an 80 quid saving on there normal price of £260 odd. Any help appreciated, because I've only got tonight to make my mind up....

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob you will really enjoy the 20x80`s but if you can afford it go with the 20x100s you will see so much more detail,yes you will need a sturdy tripod but you gain so much in detail it`s well worth the outlay, My largest are the Garrett 28x110`s awsome in a dark site,check weather they have stll got available 20x90`s a good compromise

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike... I think if I was paying the full money for the 20x100s it would be a bit steep for me at the moment, but being reduced as they are means second thoughts perhaps.. I'm left wondering still, would the general views be 'somewhat' nicer than what the Celestron 102 scope I already own can deliver, obviously based on a comparable 20x mag using a 25mm ep say...., let alone the comparisons drawn between the 20x80's...?

Thanks. Yes I have seen them but hes not offering post unfortunately. At least the Revelations would be new from a shop for 180 quid and they have the nebula filters built in if this counts for anything...?

Cheers, Rob.

The 20x80 will give a much narrower field of view compared to the 15x75 & will be a fair bit heavier... the 20x100 will give the same field of view as the 15x75, but, you'll see much more but, even heavier... best for hand-held use... gotta be the 15x75

I've got the 15x75 & 28x110

Thing is I was hoping whatever I bought would replace the C102 scope as travel weapon of choice. I own some 10x42's and some 10x50's and after having owned and breaking my Revelation 15x70's I fancied a bit more resolving power again to hopefully replace the need to take the C102. I 'thought' the 100mm bino's might do this??, whereas the 80's might not quite get there..? Still unsure though because as you and other owners are aware theres still the fact that the 100's are supposed to be beasts to get on with... and not for 'relaxed casual' observing

Cake and eat again me thinks!

Hi Rob, I'd agree with DOBBY, don't wish to put you off the bigger one's mind, should you go for them its important to get a decent tripod/head combo.

Strong support is required to minimize wobble with big bins due to their weight.

Good luck with your choice. :BangHead:

Well, in the end I tried to buy both sets of bin's with a view to trialing them, then keeeping my favourite, but it wasn't meant to be... Booooo!! The on offer 20x100's have gone, so it looks like I'll have to hope the 20x80's are a big enough step up from the 15x70's I've broke and will be suffient enough for me to leave the C102 scope at home... They arrive tommorrow, but feel a bit flat now??.. blumming toys and choices!!

• 1 month later...

Archived