NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

recommendations for Gradient removal

Until now I've been using the free version of Pixinsight 1.1 to remove gradients from my images using the DBE tool. I've just had to do a clean install on my computer due to a hard drive crash and I'm totally puzzled because my back up of Pixinsight 1.1 has dissappeared from my network storage drive which I use for backup although the previous 1.0 version is still there but that doesn't have the DBE tool.

As all legitimate traces of Pixinsight 1.1 have now been removed from the internet what do people recommend for gradient removal. I'm not a fan of Pixinsight and am not going to purcahse it just for the DBE tool. I've heard that Gradient Xterminator does a good job.

What are other people using/recommend.

Thanks in anticipation

John

Gradient Xterminator is excellent although if the gradient is really bad (I'm thinking here about using it in lieu of a proper FLAT) if you select the main object and then invert the selection which is the 'normal' way of doing things, you can end up with an area of lightness around the object if you subsequently stretch the image a lot. With careful use though, it is an excellent tool and can save many an image from the recycling bin!

Hi

You must like Pixinsight a bit or you would not be missing DBE :)

If you can find someone with the DBE patch it is perfectley OK to use it :)

DBE is much more versitile than gradx and Gives better results , but saying this Grad x is very good and if you do not want Pixinsight is the next best thing

Regards Harry

Harry (Photosbykev)- might be best to start your own thread.

Thanks for the replies everyone - Gradient Xterminator seems to be coming out as favourite. My guru friend has also recommended it.

Harry Page - I used Pixinsight (v.1.1) purely for the DBE as it was free (at the time), legitimate and did the job but I didn't like its useablility as a piece of software - I did try it for other processing aspects as well - maybe they've improved it with the latest version - I don't doubt it as a piece of powerful editing software but I found it very cumbersome to use. Even a preview of a process wasn't straight forward. CS3 may not be able to work with 32 bit images like Pixinsight but I find it a lot more logical and friendly to use - especially for curves and levels and processes using layers.

Thanks everyone

Regards

John

Another vote for GradientXTerminator.....I used it this weekend on NGC 7000 and M13, in moderate light pollution with a moon just past full and a CLS clip filter for my Canon. I don't have finals yet, but Steppenwolf's suggestions above are spot on...inverse select the background after selecting the DSO, then experiment with the filter. I fine that two passes, one course and one fine, work well...play with the level of filter applied with each and you will find the right amount that removes the gradient.

I do have to color correct with the CLS filter, but playing the GXT gives a flat background with the right combination of filter applications.

I tried GradientXTerminator and was never really very pleased with the results. My next forage was into PI and the DBE tool - Much, much better - Seems to deal with all the gradients I can throw at it. But, my best way of removing gradients to date has been .................... to take flats - Wow, what a difference they make. I was actually surprised at the difference. I had put off taking them for ages as they seemed so difficult, but in reality very easy and an excellent way of removing the gradient. In my little world, you can't beat that. PI and DBE next, followed by GXT.

Like Harry I'd call GradX the second best to PI. On Russel Croman's site there is a link to a good tutorial on how to get the best out of it. I'd check that out.

One maddening thing I find, though, its that GradX disappears regularly from my Ps filters and asks me for my purchase details again. At the moment I put them in and get directed to a fresh purchase. Drives me nuts. I haven't got it working again yet.

Olly

Thanks for the replies everyone - very much appreciated.

Sara - yes flatrs are essential - they will remove vignetting and some gradient but with hard processing, gradients may still be present that are present in the data as a result of uneven sky illumination or severe LP - I live about 6 miles from Stanlow Oil Refinery and get some gradient as a result of LP from there which on long exposures, even the CLS clip filter can't completely remove.

All I need now is some dark skies to get back imaging again.

Regards

John

Archived