Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope Advice

Celestron C8-N GT or Skywatcher Explorer 200 (HEQ5) ?

Which is the better scope both are close in price but the Celestron has goto which would be helpful, the Skywatcher has the HEQ5 mount which seems to be highly regarded.

Opinions please

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi. Mark,

I don't have experience of either units, but intuition steers me in favour of the rated mount.

Whilst a goto might be desirable, a good mount is essential.

I hope you get more feedback so you can be more at ease with the decision you do make.

Ron. :)

Hello Mark,

I have a C8NGT. It is mounted on Celestron's CG5 Equatorial Mount. This seems a sturdy (heavy) piece of kit although the motor drive when slewing to an object is quite noisy. I guess those gears/motor are pulling around quite a heavy item even when properly counterweighted.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience of the HEQ5. I am sure other members will offer you more helpful advice on this.

Remember to shop around. I found prices from £599 to £850 for my C8N and don't forget your 10% discount from the SGL sponsors!! :)

Bill£

:My first post! Hooray!

Hi Jaspa, I have been in exactly the same position as you for the last few months. I have an ETX 90 so I know that when GOTO works it is great, so the C8 Goto seemed like the ideal next step..........but, having done a lot of research, and receiving some excellent advise I have gone for the SW200 on the HEQ5. Although it is the same scope as the celestron the mount is apparently much better. I ordered mine today from the super helpful Steve at FLO. Thanks Steve.

From the reviews I have laboriously poured over I know that I won't be disappointed, and by not having the GOTO I am sure I will learn much more about the night sky.

Good Luck.

Jonathen

Archived