Alexander Observatories

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live just a couple of miles from them.

I've never had any dealings with them before, but I might just knock on the door and report back here for you.

Dear ALL,

Thanks for your responses -

Luke - if it is not too much trouble and you can pop along just to ensure nothing dreadful has happened to Nick. Following earlier correspondence with him, I have now prepared the concrete base for my proposed observatory and want to get the ball rolling. Kind regards - Sun Down

He is probably on hols - certainly when I dealt with him last year he was a one-man band, so there were no 'office' staff or such to cover when he was away. He also had a very large backlog!

NigelM

I have just had one of Nick's observatories erected in my garden by Nick. He is a genuine marvel and also an amateur astronomer.

He was true to his word on delivery time and it was only the weather that caused a slight delay because he needs a good day to do the installatiion.

Please rest assured that you would be dealing with a genuine guy if you want to have one of his observatories. It is a quality product.

post-15542-133877637088_thumb.jpg

post-15542-133877637095_thumb.jpg

Hi

I had my Obsy installed last august :BangHead: Nick can be a bit slow in replying due to his workload but he does get back to you eventually ;)

Im not sure what you have planned but I would get your electrician along on the same day as the install if possible as its a lot easier to wire the Obsy during construction that having it retro fitted :(

Cheers Jon

Pictures attached :(

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/111049-its-finally-here-2.html

Malc

It is the 16 by 10 option with warm room. The warm room is 10 by 6

See Welcome to Alexanders Observatories

All the info is there. As mentioned he is on his own and can be hard to get hold of at times because he is making or installing observatories.

I made the base and two plinths myself and is on the site of my smaller rolloff. This probably cost £300 in materials. Electrics aren't a problem as I had them in my other one and the cabling is ready inside to be sorted for the new one. I built conduits into the concrete base for cabling to the plinths from the warm room

I have previoulsy had two other observatories mostly done by myself. This may have been dearer than those but it is not as much as you might think and most definitely cheaper if my own time is costed!! It also looks professionally made whereas my other ones didn't really to be honest.

Very Nice...

Can you provide details. It looks like a 16' x 8' with a warm room section (as the roof always covers half the observatory).

• 2 months later...

Folks

I am now 27 weeks into what should have been a 10 week wait, I too have a base laid and Nick has a deposit from me. Have send him a registered letter telling him that, if he does not make contact, I'll have to start proceedings to get my deposit back, although I still would rather have the obs.

Luke - please let me know if you have any joy. All feedback on Nick before has been positive as far as I can tell, so this is our of character...

Many thanks!

I live just a couple of miles from them.

I've never had any dealings with them before, but I might just knock on the door and report back here for you.

Luke

Don't suppose you have had a chance to try them have you?

Regards

Mark

Hello MLarge,

Thought I would join in this forum for the first time, as I am having a similar experience to yourself. I placed an order with Nick on 17 May this year, with an estimated delivery time of 10-12 weeks. We are now on week 22. It sounds as if yours was ordered even earlier - can you say when?

Originally we agreed delivery by the end of August, then 19 September. Our last phone conversation was on 22/9 and he thought it wouldn't be finished until into the "next week" and he might deliver 29-30 September. Since then no word and no answer to email/mobile/home phone.

I have also wondered if Nick has met with some mishap. Luke - did you have any luck making contact????

I see that JohnWC had his observatory delivered at the end of July. John, if you are reading this, when did you place your order? How long did it take?

Has anyone else had an observatory delivered recently? How long did you have to wait? I suppose we would all like to know if Nick is gradually struggling through a backlog of orders or has he gone to ground completely???

RonPatt

Folks

I am now 27 weeks into what should have been a 10 week wait, I too have a base laid and Nick has a deposit from me. Have send him a registered letter telling him that, if he does not make contact, I'll have to start proceedings to get my deposit back, although I still would rather have the obs.

Luke - please let me know if you have any joy. All feedback on Nick before has been positive as far as I can tell, so this is our of character...

Many thanks!

Ron

that is what I am afraid of too, although a registered letter I sent was delivered and signed for. I still really want the observatory rather than my money back, it is clear from the other posts here that Nick delivers a great product - eventually.

My order was placed 1st week of April this year...

Regards

mark

Hello MLarge,

Thought I would join in this forum for the first time, as I am having a similar experience to yourself. I placed an order with Nick on 17 May this year, with an estimated delivery time of 10-12 weeks. We are now on week 22. It sounds as if yours was ordered even earlier - can you say when?

Originally we agreed delivery by the end of August, then 19 September. Our last phone conversation was on 22/9 and he thought it wouldn't be finished until into the "next week" and he might deliver 29-30 September. Since then no word and no answer to email/mobile/home phone.

I have also wondered if Nick has met with some mishap. Luke - did you have any luck making contact????

I see that JohnWC had his observatory delivered at the end of July. John, if you are reading this, when did you place your order? How long did it take?

Has anyone else had an observatory delivered recently? How long did you have to wait? I suppose we would all like to know if Nick is gradually struggling through a backlog of orders or has he gone to ground completely???

RonPatt

Hello MLarge,

I'm new to the forum but am having similar experience to you. I placed an order for an observatory in July and spoke to Nick Evans about four weeks ago to add a pedestal to the order. He said he would send a template for the mount but nothing has arrived. All subsequent emails, texts and phone to landline and mobile are unanswered.

I have also sent a recorded delivery letter last week asking for a reasonable delivery date or a refund. Letter has been signed for but I've had no reply as yet.

Bec & MLarge, I'm in the same boat as you. Nick cashed the cheque for my deposit at the end of March and I'm still waiting. He told me at the start of August that I was next on the list and he would be commencing the build the next week. Have spoken to him several times since and he apologised for reallocting his workload but other than workload gave no reason for not starting mine. It is now a month since I last made contact when he promised to phone me on 30th September. He has not called and I have been unable to make contact since. I am also considering making alternative arrangements.

I would be interested in hearing if either of you get responses from him.

Ron

I'm on a mobile phone while imaging, so cannot read the entire thread... I removed one thread about Alexanders observatories that turned into supplier bashing - I will not hesitate to remove this as well.

Supplier bashing is not permitted on sgl, if you have a review and want to share good or bad then you can do so in the supplier review section - this is not the place to do it!

Ant

Posted from a stupid phone

Ant,

Perhaps I could respond to your concerns and reassure you that this thread is not "Supplier Bashing"!

I only joined the Stargazers' Lounge yesterday, purely to try and find out if anybody knew what was the situation with delivery of Alexander Observatories. We are all aware that the product is very highly regarded (and this has been emphasised on this thread) but a number of us have been unable to get any response over the last month or so. Clearly, a number of people are a long time overdue with the deliveries promised. It has been very reassuring to us to find that we are not alone in this dilemma.

I was concerned that perhaps he had been taken ill or suffered some mishap, so wanted to find out if anyone knew if there is a good reason for the silence. I am hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on why!

I would have thought this is an ideal use for this sort of forum.

Ron

I'm on a mobile phone while imaging, so cannot read the entire thread... I removed one thread about Alexanders observatories that turned into supplier bashing - I will not hesitate to remove this as well.

Supplier bashing is not permitted on sgl, if you have a review and want to share good or bad then you can do so in the supplier review section - this is not the place to do it!

Ant

Posted from a stupid phone

Ron,

Last time it wasn't the original poster that was supplier bashing, it was someone who joined in later who had never dealt with the company before.

I have now read the thread and it seems OK - but if it does degenerate into what I think is supplier bashing I will remove the thread.

Ant

Hi All,

A couple of extra questions:-

Q1 Does anybody know of anyone who has had an observatory delivered in the last couple of months ? This would reassure us that things are moving.

Q2 I see that Nick now offers a self-collection and self-assembly option - has anyone used this ? Is there a difference between these observatories and the ordinary ones ?

Ron

Ron, don't know whether this helps but during July/August Nick told me he was doing an installation at York University. At one stage I did consider trying to contact the university to ask. Also, at another stage Nick did seem to offer quicker delivery and return later to erect. I wonder whether it's the erection side which is holding things up?

When I met with Nick in March he did mention that he shares a workshop with someone. This other person was planning to leave. This meant that Nick couldn't afford to rent the workshop on his own and would need to find somewhere else. He said that ultimately he would like to build his own workshop in his garden. I have no idea whether this has added to pressures on his workload.

It is however reassuring that Nick still advertises on S@N. He told me it costs him a lot of money each month to pay for the ad. I assume that if things had gone pear shaped the ad would no longer appear or at least disappear after a month or so.

Ron

Sorry to hear so many in same situation as myself. I paid large deposit to alex/obs in july. I nitially agreed to 10-12 week wait for delivery. I have had 3/4 phone discussions with nick who eventually agreed to deliver and assemble at end of sept.2011. Heard nothing since Nick has not replied to any phone or e mail last 3 weeks.

Any news re Alexanders welcome.

Hi,

New kid on block here - I've been trying by both email / telephone to contact Nic @ Alexander Observatories - but have drawn a blank over the last couple of weeks? Does anybody know if all's well?

Cheers :)

Archived