NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Probems with Synscan AZ goto

Hi, I'm a relative newbie and have posted a similar problem regarding the goto part of my Synscan AZ. I have a StarTravel 102 refractor mounted. I have no problem aligning the scope and usually use Acturus and Vega or Polaris.

When I choose an object to goto the scope slews off to find it but when it finds it it sets off again. If I'm quick and stop the slewing as it changes direction I check the eyepiece and lo and behold bingo! there it is in the FOV but otherwise it slews of without so much as a beep.

I've redoubled my efforts to ensure the mount is level and correct data given at set up. I can't always see the object I'm slewing to so won't always know when to press [ESC] . I even successfully upgraded firmware to handset v3.07 just in case.

While I was at it (hooked up to PC) I enabled telescope control via 'Stellarium', all-be-it in the comfort of my lounge. Sent the scope off to find Acturus which it did directly and stopped within a few pixels.

Please, please, please can someone out there tell me what I'm doing wrong or advise.:D

Many thanks.

Clear skies and dark nights.

Chris

Hi Chris

How far off is it if you leave it to finish slewing?

The mount will home in and then do a final adjustment - if the alignment is out then you may well see the target in the eyepiece during the final approach and then it moves off.

Can you describe your alignment procedure - what eyepiece you use and what method?

I have the SW102 Mak on the AZ GOTO and I can usually get the target in the field of view of my 25mm eyepiece.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Chris

How far off is it if you leave it to finish slewing?

The mount will home in and then do a final adjustment - if the alignment is out then you may well see the target in the eyepiece during the final approach and then it moves off.

Can you describe your alignment procedure - what eyepiece you use and what method?

I have the SW102 Mak on the AZ GOTO and I can usually get the target in the field of view of my 25mm eyepiece.

Clear skies

Paul

I enter location,date, time, daytime saving and usually choose 2 star alignment. Slew and centre to Arcturus, then slew and centre to Altair or Vega. Hand conroller says Alignment Successful. I then select Arcturus and off she goes. If I leave well alone the scope slews to destination and does a complete 360 then once again goes of in the opposite direction. This happens to each subsequent object I choose but if I stop the slew at the point of change of direction the object is in or near the fov. Should the scope stop when it reaches selected coordinates?

Many thanks for your help.

I use a 10mm eyepiece.

Hi Chris

The scope should stop when it reaches it's target - I have seen similar behaviour when my battery was getting low.

What batteries are you using and are they fully charged.

If you are using a fully charged power tank or other 12V battery then you may have a fault with the mount.

If it's under warranty I suggest you return it to the dealer you bought it from.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Paul

Chris,

This could be a power problem. How are you powering your Mount?

If by battery are you getting at least 12v from your supply. A fully charged battery off load will give approx 13v. If yes this still does not rule out the battery as it may not be able to supply enough current under load if faulty. If you are using a mains adapter you must have at least 2 Amps output capacity from this.

Neil

Hi Paul,

I select 1st object slew to it using 20mm or sometimes 10mm centre it and select 2nd object, let the scope slew near to object, stop it and centre. I get Alignment Successful msg. Select a goto object in another segment. It usually gets close then slows down then sets off in a 360 bid to find it again. At this point I usually stop it and use PAE to recentre last goto object.

I use 8 x rechargeable AA batteries which last 1.5 to 2 hrs.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Neil,

I'm using 8 x rechargeable AA batteries in the supplied holder. The connection to the mount is temprimental despite a retaining nut. I'm baffled that having successfully found the target it won't stop.

Gonna sees if I can borrow a powerpak from my astro group.

Hookied it up to Stellarium on my laptop. Great fun. Stops if I use Stellarium goto. Even managed to successfully Align using virtual sky.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks so much for your help.

Agree with Peter above, batteries not a good idea in my opinion and can be affected by temperature when it's cold. Tracking doesn't use a lot of juice but slewing around will eat them up especially if they are the recharging type. My own choice of power is a small leisure battery which I also use for dew control on my refractors as well as a lap top etc.

James

Archived