NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution filter for canon 50mm lens

peteftm

Hi , ive just received delivery of a canon 50mm f1.8 11 (nifty 50).

I've noticed the front of this is threaded so would this take a 2 inch light pollution filter? (Looks about the size but aint measured it).

I plan on doing widefield imaging mounted directly onto my EQ5 ra driven mount.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for that , i'm looking at a cheaper option to the cls clip filter , although i may get better images with this...

I'm planning to go to darkish sites but i've got a feeling LP will be present there as well!!

Peter

Hold on folks.. there's a problem

Been there with a Lumicon Deep Sky filter...

The filters work with light up to a certain angle, beyond that the wavelenth of operation really start to shift.. If you use a 50mm lense with a full frame SLR/DSLR then the angle of light in the corners means you get really weird colour cast towards the outer half of the frame.

IMHO for full frame DSLR/SLR you need to go >=100mm.

If using the small imager size DSLRs 50mm works out as equivelent to about 85mm fl on full frame.. so you might just get away with it.

Derek

I travelled a few miles from the glare of street lights last night and took this 2 minute sub.This was using my nifty 50 and as you can see i deffo need a lpf!

Is the astronomik clip filter the way to go or would a cheap skywatcher do the trick , bearing in mind i would be finding darker places to set up?

Thanks for the help by the way :D

Peter

post-21724-133877632877_thumb.jpg

I use the clip filter with my non EF-S mount lenses. It's a much better lp cut out than the SW one.. Don't get me wrong, the SW one does work well and I use it in my scopes, but they are much slower than the 50mm.

Archived