NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8'' Reflector on EQ5

Hi everyone. I am wondering if a pier mounted EQ5 head be capable of handling an 8'' Reflector (Dob version f/l 1200mm) for purely visual use? I think on the tripod it would test the limits but thought maybe on the pier i might get away with it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I can speak from experience that the tripod mounted EQ5 is fine for visual with the F6 200P tube. Providing the tripod is the steel tube version, not the old aluminium version.

An essential upgrade for this setup would be the Skywatcher Autofocus or Orion Accufocus. No need to touch the scope then. Absolutely perfect for visual and also fine planetary imaging.

Here's the one i had on the EQ5, steel tripod and Accufocus fitted. I kept it as a dual purpose setup, so the dob bearings remained in place on the tube.

russ-albums-old-scopes-picture11945-skyliner-200p-eq5.jpg

Hi Damo,

I`m sure you`d still get a certain amount of wobble, but I am sure it would settle down relatively quickly. However I can only go on my 1000mm 8" newt, so I am thinking with your Dob OTA you not only have a bit more weight due to the extra length, but also could suffer a certain amount of tubeflex? maybe? I think for purely visual you`d get away with it, but would certainly think twice if you had any plans of imaging with it.

Cheers Russ. I had thought it was too much for the tripod but seeing yours it doesn't look out of place at all. I have the steel tripod and like you would plan to keep the bearings in place so as to have the best of both worlds.

I can speak for experience that the tripod mounted EQ5 is fine for visual with the F6 200P tube. Providing the tripod is the steel tube version, not the old aluminium version.

An essential upgrade for this setup would be the Skywatcher Autofocus or Orion Accufocus. No need to touch the scope then. Absolutely perfect for visual and also fine planetary imaging.

Here's the one i had on the EQ5, steel tripod and Accufocus fitted. I kept it as a dual purpose setup, so the dob bearings remained place on the tube.

russ-albums-old-scopes-picture11945-skyliner-200p-eq5.jpg

hehe would that be my mount there russ? ;)

I have a 200p sitting on it lately - seems to handle it just fine, tho i am slightly nervous of wearing the mount out quicker by using a heavier load? idk :)

There's some cheap dovetails in the For Sale section at the moment ;)

And a wanted ad should turn up some rings plus the Autofocus :)

I bought a long dovetail from Nadeem last night for this very job :(

nice to see its been around the block a few times ;) and crikey the size difference between the 150 and 200p was quite impressvie!

Just a bit :(

And yes quite a jump from 6 to 8 :)

Archived