Help First time User 200p eq5

Hello,

I recently purchased a skywatcher 200P eq5 telescope. We set it up but am trying to view the moon tonight and am not able to, it just looks like a white blur.

Can anyone give some advice on what I might be doing wrong or what I should be doing eg eyepieces etc..

thanks!!!

Pop the 25mm eyepiece in the focuser tube and turn the focuser knob in either direction till you find the focus point and get a clear view. Do this very slowly across the entire length of the draw tube till you find the correct point (it's easy to miss so go slow).

If it's still a blur then it might be collimation is out. If it's too bright remove the small cap off the main tube cover and replace the cover on the scope. This might make it easier with the moon cos it dims the view quite a lot. But take the cover off for anything else :)

Hi brantuk,

Thanks for that, unfortunately we just missed the moon so we're gonna have to try for tomorrow.

One question though, what do you mean by "collimation being out"? This is my first telescope and I thought I'd buy a good one but aside from that I have no idea what I am doing!

Thanks again really appreciate your advice.

Kr

Trini

You should be able to get some sort of focus. Sounds like a mirror is not collimated, as Brantuk has mentioned. Take the EP out of the focuser and look into the tube. The reflection of your eye should be perfectly centered in the small mirror you see in the focuser. You may want to read the instructions your scope came with or look up collimation on SGL or the internet. My scope was completely misaligned when it was delivered, you may be having the same problem.

i have a skywatcher 200p and ive had trouble focusing - you need to pull the ep out of the focuser a little, then tighten it up, ie dont push the ep all the way in before you tighten the thumb screws around it. theres not enough back travel on the focuser (at least there wasnt on mine).

worth a punt, it may do the trick.

EDIT* as dobby said, an extension tube should be a permanent solution

Collimation is just a question of getting the mirrors lined up correctly so that the light is focused in exactly the right place in the focuser tube. Most scopes leave the factory with good collimation but newts are notorious for losing it en route with all the vibrations loosening the screws.

Your secondary should be ok cos they're pretty tight but the primary may need a minor tweak. You need to choose a collimation tool (which can be anything form a few quid to over £100) and learn how to do a star test (pretty easy) so you can check it and know when adjustment is neccessary :)

Good advice from all the earlier posts.

Perhaps one more suggestion?

Try to sight a distant object in daylight. Trees, TV aerials, horizon. Use whatever is available. Preferably at a long distance, not in your garden. Beats waiting for the moon on a cloudy night!

I find it easier to use a new, unfamiliar scope with daylight first time.

That should also give you a feel for whether you need the eyepiece well out of the tube.

Hope this is useful, David.

Have you put the 2 inch eyepiece holder onto the scope and then the 1.25 inch eyepiece holder into it followed by the eyepiece itself. If yes then only fit the 1.25 inch holder into the scope followed by the eyepiece. I know it mind sound crazy but it has happened before.

Neil

Have you put the 2 inch eyepiece holder onto the scope and then the 1.25 inch eyepiece holder into it followed by the eyepiece itself. If yes then only fit the 1.25 inch holder into the scope followed by the eyepiece. I know it mind sound crazy but it has happened before.

Neil

That was my thinking. He wouldn't be this first beginner to have done it. The instruction manuals are so vague I can see how it could happen.

Hey, Im glad you posted this question because i have the same scope but on a dobsonian mount and last night took it out for the first time and i had exactly the same problem, i defo only have the ep connector in the scope and then my eye piece, maybe il i should try the dredded collimation 8-) altho after just reading A different thread it dont sound all that bad its all just part of learning the game i guess.

Hey, Im glad you posted this question because i have the same scope but on a dobsonian mount and last night took it out for the first time and i had exactly the same problem, i defo only have the ep connector in the scope and then my eye piece, maybe il i should try the dredded collimation 8-) altho after just reading A different thread it dont sound all that bad its all just part of learning the game i guess.

if its collimation you'rw worried about - if its brand new, or even 2nd hand for that matter, it shouldnt be *that* bad that all you see is a white blob.

it really is mroe liekly that you vant got the eye peice far enough in or out of the focuser.

Ok mate il give it another try soon as this weather sorts itself out, I just had a go at taking the ep out and looking in and my eye reflection is bang on centre if that means much,

Sorry for hijacking your post Trini ;-)

Mark

Archived