Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 HEQ5 or EQ5?

Yep.

Think about what you want to do with it and what you want to put on it. Expected load is the most important factor, but also consider how portable you need it to be.

Weight isn't the only thing to consider, leverage is another, a big newt will place more demands on the mount than an equally heavy but more compact SCT. Tolerances for visual are greater than for imaging so that is a big influence.

Agree, I have HEQ5 and an 8" newt and wouldn`t consider putting anything heavier/more cumbersome on it - I wont say its at its limit with my setup, it doesnt struggle at all - but I think to throw much more at it (200PDS, Guinderscope (finderscope converted to a guidescope), Telrad and a heavy DSLR) would be asking a bit much.. If you have the funds and are happy with lifting it then go for the EQ6.

Price differential NEQ6 to HEQ5 is in and about £150. I'd go for the NEQ6.

I limited to HEQ5 and 80 fracs due only to weight and storage space. I'm a little too senior to lug the EQ6 and 10-12" Newts in and out - no space for an obs.

But occasionally, just occasionally, I think maybe I should have gone for the 6.

C'est la vie

Archived