NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mains Power supply for EQ6 Mount

Rossco72

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a mains power supply for my EQ6 (and preferably also suitable for my CGE) mount.

Can anyone recommend a power supply? It would be handy if any extra items like cameras, dew heaters and guiders etc could also be run off the same supply.

Cheers

I lot of people including myself use the generic Maplins bench supplies, 6 or 7amp ones are around £27. The EQ6 will draw 2amps under full slew so there's plenty of spare capicity on the above mentioned.

Carnt send you a link as the damned web @ work just sends me to Maplins mobile web which is ****.

13.8V 15A/18A Max Switched Mode PSU

It handles an EQ6, two dew heater tapes, a camera etc without blinking and has a cigar socket in the front and ring tongue connectors at the back...

James

Nice one James. Ive been doing some research on this over the past couple of days to make my own mains power supply enclosure and had been looking at the 13.8V maplins one, but this one looks better.

Yep a better option continously rated at max capacity...

If you think you might need a lot of 12V power then these unit on clearance at Rapid are very good

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?clearance=1&tier1=Electrical+%26+Power&tier2=Power+Supplies&tier3=Bench+PSUs&tier4=30V%2f30A+Variable+output+power+supply&moduleno=68072

I have 4 of them in work running burn in rigs...

For Obs use its a pity they didnt stock the 15V 60A version made by the same manufacturer...

I use either this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231 (7 or 10A version)

or more recently this one:

It handles an EQ6, two dew heater tapes, a camera etc without blinking and has a cigar socket in the front and ring tongue connectors at the back...

James

Well James, I've ordered one so you're in the spotlight with your recommendation :)

Won't arrive until next week though.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
I use either this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231 (7 or 10A version)

or more recently this one:

James

Hi

I just bought the new Maplin 30A supply

30A 13.8V Switching Power supply : Amateur Radio Accessories : Maplin Electronics

(I had some free money from work and I found a discount voucher code so picked this up for £85 )

I was just wondering, do you connect your mount power and dew heater to the ring tongue connectors at the back or do you run the mount from the back and the dew heater from the cigarette connector - does it matter?

Steve

I got my mains psu from Modern Astronomy rated at 5A/12V - price earlier this year was £28. Drives my HEQ5, dew heaters and flat field box and have had no probs with it. The dew heaters and flat field box run off the 12vdc via a PWM convertor bought from ERS electricals at about £10 - works well. Canon 350D needs 7.4V-ish and allow an amp for that. Mine is driven from a separate mains psu (Canon's own).

350D shutter needs an opto isolated dongle - can be made for a few ££s and a USB serial convertor from USBNOW. The 350D imaging port runs directly off USB.

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a mains power supply for my EQ6 (and preferably also suitable for my CGE) mount.

Can anyone recommend a power supply? It would be handy if any extra items like cameras, dew heaters and guiders etc could also be run off the same supply.

Cheers

This what you are looking for?

psu.jpg

Celestron and SkyWatcher Compatible 12v Mains Power Supply

Archived