Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie Question

Stargazer Jack

Hello, I have asked this question many times and looked loads but I still don't understand how to move the 'scope after polar aligning the mount. I know you have to unlock the RA and Dec knobs but how do you move it to look at say the south-east? I know this is a stupid question but it is quite confusing (for me anyway). Thanks

I think you are confusing aligning the mount head to the north star/your latitude and pointing the scope.

when you set up your mount, you point the mount toward north (this is alignment in azimuth) and the angle of the mount to match your latitude (e.g. mine is 53 degrees, yours will be maybe 52 degrees this is alignment in altitude). This sets the mount for the night.

on the mount you have two clutch levers. one for right ascension (broadly left to right but not quite) and declination (broadly up and down). it is withe the clutches loose that you move the scope in any direction you like.

hope this makes it clearer?

Use the Alt and Az bolts for polar alignment only. Once polar aligned unlock the RA/Dec clutches and swing the scope to point in any direction you like. You can tip it over left to right, and swing it over front to back to find an object.

Once you're on target (using the finder) lock the RA/Dec clutches and then use the slo/mo controls to center up the object in the eyepiece. Don't wory if the ep is pointing down or at an awkward angle.

Stand behind the scope so it won't slip out of the tube rings, loosen the tube rings and turn the scope around till the ep is back in a comfy viewing orientation (don't let the tube slide up/down through the rings as you do this). Then all you need to do is turn the RA slo/mo knob to track the object.

It seems like magic but you'll only need the odd tweak in Dec depending on how good your polar alignment was. Hope that helps :)

This is absolutely not a stupid question - just about everyone's first encounter with an equatorial mount is a confusing one and it does seem like you can't point it just anywhere but you'll get used to it!

This Animated Equatorial mount tutorial should help you. You may find that the focuser ends up in an awkward position after slewing the mount. If it does all you need to do is slacken the tube rings a little bit then rotate the OTA in the rings untill the focuser is in a more comfortable position, then tighten the rings up again.

Peter

Managed to do a very basic polar alignment about 10 minutes ago and from all the advice, I am now tracking the sun! Very happy and thank you to everyone :) Imaging at the moment and will post pictures in solar imaging section later if I get something :(

when you say 'it' is low, do you mean the focuser? sorry I may have misunderstood, as Kim says, slacken the tube rings and turn the tube to a more comfortable position once it's pointed at the target.

Yeah sorry I didn't explain it very well. Thanks again.

no worries. making or buying a further tube ring which is just fixed to the tube (inside the top ring) will prevent the tube dropping down wrecking your balance.

see Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes for some ideas. I made mine from a strip of 2mm aluminium lined with adhesive felt and fastened together with a simple bolt and nyloc nut.

no worries. making or buying a further tube ring which is just fixed to the tube (inside the top ring) will prevent the tube dropping down wrecking your balance.

see Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes for some ideas. I made mine from a strip of 2mm aluminium lined with adhesive felt and fastened together with a simple bolt and nyloc nut.

Thanks that, will have a look :)

Archived