NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Computer help please!!

My main PC was running this morning while I was out imaging the Sun. When I came in the whole thing was "dead" so I pressed the start button and it got as far as the "windows did not shut down properly" screen then, before I could do anything, went dead again.

All I can get now is the first part of the boot up sequence(It tells me it is a Packard-bell and the hard disc light flickers for a few seconds) and then nothing - it shuts down.

Any ideas???? :)

Oops forgot - its windows 7 32bit, but i doubt if that helps!!

Daft question - but was it running on battery power or mains - might be hibernating if low on battery power.

The automatic shutdown might have been the latest windows 7 automatic updates - just a thought.

Best of Luck !

Can you get as far as BIOS? You might want to check CPU temperature there. If your cooler is almost dead and totally full of dust it probably can't cool your CPU properly so the system shuts down to prevent overheating. Check your CPU temp in BIOS - if it's high after only a few seconds of the system being powered up it's a sure sign your cooler's had it.

What you can try to do is open up your case and thoroughly clean it all from dust. Be sure to disconnect it from the power and touch something metal before you start to discharge any static electricity that may have accumulated on your body - this is always a good precaution to take before handling hardware components. Use a small brush or something like that to carefully clean the dust off the more tricky to reach areas. Also check the heat sinks of your cpu/mobo/graphics card, wherever they are - is there a lot of dust between the metal plates? I own an air compressor and an airbrush so I usually use these to blow the dust from such areas. If you don't have those you can buy one of those cans with compressed air to dust it off. Use a vacuum cleaner on a low setting to pick up the larger balls of dust from the bottom of the case. Try to keep the body of the vacuum cleaner away from your components, and keep the nozzle away from any sensitive components.

After this, plug it all in but keep the case open. Power up and visually inspect the CPU cooler; does it work? Is the fan spinning? If it does try to boot up windows again. If it still doesn't work I'm afraid you'll probably have to take it to a computer repair service for someone to take a detailed look.

OMG im working.....

Try the following....

Make sure nothing is plugged into it (USB devices etc.) take the batterey out, then replace it plug it into the mains and restart.

If its still not booting restart and keep pressing F8, if its a windows issue (rather then hardware) you should be presented with a menu to enter safe mode, do that and once it boots do a system restore.

If its still not booting after trying the above restart it and enter the BIOS (ususally F1/Del etc) after it enters the BIOS leave it. If it stays on for 10 mins without issue then you have more then likly had a HDD failure.

Let me know how you get on.

:)

Sounds like a hardware issue to me - my hunch, something on the motherboard died. Could be wrong though - can't do much more than guess at this point. It's definitely something after the power supply unit since the system does power on. If it was a faulty hard drive you'd probably just get an error, not an instant power down - this is why I'm thinking it's the motherboard. Faulty RAM or graphics card probably wouldn't give you an instant shutdown, either. You could try booting from a Linux live CD (would have to find another working computer to download and burn the data) or, if you have a spare HDD with no vital data on it lying around, you could try installing that one and trying to install/boot windows from that; however if it's not your HDD this would just result in another instant shutdown. Probably best if you just follow through with the "take it to the shop" plan, this isn't a software issue.

The CPU heatsink may have come adrift, I had the same symptoms some years ago, the plastic clip had broken and although the heatsink looked in place, it wasnt in contact with the CPU anymore.

Barry

:) another reminder we should back up our data..

Possible MBR (master boot record) corruption. If you have a win7 install disk try this out

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Hope you get it sorted.

Edit : just to second the take all usb connections off the Pc then try to boot.

Archived