Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L+ New To Mono - how do I?

Interested

Hi all,

Hope someone can help!

I have only used OSC cameras before so imaging using a mono camera + colour filters is completely new to me. I have to admit, I'm ok at technical stuff but I am not a photographer!

I've set up the camera in the daylight and taken some pictures in L, R, G & B in Fits format. How do I stack/combine them to get a colour image?

I am using Artemis capture but also have Registax and have d/l'ed Nebulosity2 with a view to buy. I also have PS Elements 9.

Registax and Nebulosity both align & stack ok but I just get a B&W image at the end of it!

Any help would be very much appreciated (or a point to some tutorials?).

Many thanks

Peter,

Thank you for the link. I have 'skim' read and will go back to it later.

The author mentions using PS and Maxim DL; both are expensive software in the full versions. He also says there are plenty of other programs around that do the same as Maxim.

What other programs are people using - would AstroArt be a good program for combining & aligning? What other programs would be good for processing the RGB?

I hope I won't regret choosing mono over OSC in the long run. It's looking like it might be some time before I start to produce colour images!

For stacking your luminence and individual colour channels - Nebulosity, AstroArt, ImagesPlus, Maxim, PixInsight, CCDStack or the very popular and free Deepsky Stacker. I am only really familiar with Maxim and PS. You may be able to do the combine using elements using the method I outlined for PS or, if this isn't possible, I know you can combine using ImagesPlus, CCDStack and PixInsight. Not sure about the others.

I can recommend ImagesPlus which is very good value and has a comprehensive suite of processing tools. These can appear complicated but it comes with a superb collection of video tutorials which guide you through all aspects of the programme.

Martin,

Thanks for your reply. A great article by the way! It explained 'binning' quite well and will save me a lot of time when imaging the RGB chanels. and I now understand that the chanels have to be stacked seperately before combining.

I will look at Imageplus and AstroArt (as suggested by Merlin).

Merlin,

Also, thank you for your input. It's a shame the camera manufacturers don't provide (or point you to) the software required to do the job!

I have just posted my 1st image in the DSI section...........it's not good but, it is in colour! :)

Thank you all for the advice given, without which, my 1st image might have been some months away.

Archived