Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carole's DSLR Cooler

carastro

it is possible to shoot down to about 1/5 second even in bulb mode so if you make your light source relatively dim you would be able to take the flats without opening the box.

I don't know Kev, I have not tried that. However for me it is not a problem to open the box as the Peltier part comes off leaving the camera and flattener still attached to the scopes (so nothing optical is moved), and I generally do my flats the following morning (since I have an observatory I can leave it all set up).

I can have a look at what you suggest though.

Carole

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....Will have to take the back off to do flats as I need to change the setting to AV...Carole

Hi Carole, no need to switch to AV, carry on in manual mode you can take the speeds down to 1/4000th sec in manual. On my 450D and I think that's top speed on most of the canons.

I shoot all my lights, darks, flats, flat/darks and bias frames in manual mode via the canon utility software.

Have you any astro images yet????;)

Francis

Have you any astro images yet????;)

Not yet, as stated above need a new 12V splitter as the Coolbox works on 12V and the cabled "battery" works on 12V, as do the dew heaters.

I suppose I could do a dummy run using the charged up battery and no dew heaters, but is that going to be a good test?

I think I'll wait for the 12V splitter.

Carole

For astro work the camera will be in Bulb mode for exposures greater than 30 seconds rather than Manual mode.

Would the camera still not be set to M for Manual with Bulb selected ? I dont think there is a BULB setting on the function dial.

Would the camera still not be set to M for Manual with Bulb selected ? I dont think there is a BULB setting on the function dial.

I think I was wrong for this camera, all of my DSLRs have a separate Bulb position but the 'cheaper' bodies have bulb on the end of the manual scale?

Sorry for the confusion

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in getting some images with my cooler. Getting just as frustrated myself, but the 12V splitter I ordered through Ebay, after waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive turned out to be a duff deal on Ebay (another story), and I ended up getting a refund and have now had to re-order through Maplins, so am STILL waiting.

As soon as I get the splitter and a clear night I'll get some images.

Hmmm, summer termperatures will be over by the time I get this sorted!!!

Carole

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got my 12V adapter and got everything set up for imaging. Switched the Canon on and then started up the laptop only to find my Canon had not activated the laptop, it does that sometimes, which meant unscrewing it all again.

Did all that, then you guessed it, the clouds rolled in.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth all the hassle. Might just decide to cut my losses and sell it for around half price, and save up for a OSC CCD camera later on.

Any offers?

Carole

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay.

I have not got as far as testing the coolbox out as yet on an actual image, because I found it a bit of a fag to set up and didn't want to waste precious imaging time while at Kelling, and weather has been pretty rubbish since.

However I have decided to stick with it as I think it just takes a bit of practice to get used to setting it up and plan to persevere when the weather warms up again.

I have however done some temperature testing and it definitely lowers the temperature after about 30 minutes by about 10 degrees (doing 10 minutes darks and reading the Exif readings).

Carole

Archived