NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mid-range affordable APO...?

It's just I'm thinking about buying two scopes - one for planetary and one for widefield. I have the thought that a nice APO might do both for the same money, but it probably won't work. And it would probably mean I would need to push my mount up to a HEQ5...

If buying new - either the TS 90 or he Astro-tech 106 (APM 107).

I've just taken delivery of a TS 90 last month and it has yet to fail any test.

The AT106 or Sharpstar 106 (UnitronItalia) or APM 107 as it's flogged by APM is, IMHO, the best sub-1500GBP telescope around.

It was alittle big for me to back-pack so I sold it (to buy the TS90) to a bloke who owns an AP130. He declared it to be every bit as well corrected as the AP!!!!!

It is easily as good as the TMB/LZOS 105 6.2 costing 3 times as much.

You can read reviews of this scope on Cloudy Nights where it has a fanatical following.

Honestly.

Ya can't go wrong.

I would opt for the WO Meg 90. Price should be somewhere around the 1000 Euro mark.

Equally FLO are talking about the new WO GT-81, apo triplet. Price is something like £867, say £870, so should be less then 1000 Euro. (~990E).

TS have a fair selection of their own and Astro-Tech (think it is that brand).

If buying new - either the TS 90 or he Astro-tech 106 (APM 107).

When I was upgrading, these two were what I had narrowed my choice down to. I went for the TS90 with the Moonlite upgrade, Telescopeservice offer it now with a different "Photo" focuser.

It was worth every penny I spent on it, I love it. It's lightweight, very well made and I find the optics to be superb (although I have nothing to compare it against :))

It also now comes with a hardcase, which mine didn't.

I mainly use it for photography (I recently posted an image of M27 which went down quite well I think) but to be honest I don' think I have even scratched the surface of the potential of the scope.

I can't say much about the APM107 other then the fact that in the end buying meant I had to get a stronger mount which I didn't have the money for.

...although now I am tending towards the IKI 70mm APO, also on Ian King... It's cheaper than some star diagonals :-)

I had less trouble buying my first scope - ignorance was bliss.

S/h 4" WO triplets can go for around the 1000£ mark. I sold my Zenithstar 110 for 950 £ on astrobuysell last year.

If you can stretch you a bit there is a WO FLT 98 CF on at the moment. You might be able to negotiate a bit.

From my own experiences it can take a while to move such scopes.

For what it's worth, my TS 90mm triplet is for all intents and purposes "perfect". Extreme wide-filed, and stunningly sharp and colour-free views of planetary details at medium to high powers. I can't fault it in any way really.

Ant :)

For what it's worth, my TS 90mm triplet is for all intents and purposes "perfect". Extreme wide-filed, and stunningly sharp and colour-free views of planetary details at medium to high powers. I can't fault it in any way really.

Ant ;)

Indeed.

Same experience here.

I admit I was a tad nervous after some posts re. the recent quality control on their 80mm scopes.

But it arrived intact and faultless.

A few weeks later and I've flung everything I can at it, optically speaking, and it has yet to dissapoint.

As a bonus, it rides nicely on a Manfrotto 055 Tripod with a 128 fluid head.

You probably wouldn't get away with that with a 120mm scope!:)

Mmmm, yum - perhaps if I picked one up second hand... But which 90mm TS APO are we talking about? They make several...

I imagine its the carbon fiber triplet, offered with different focuser options but all the same scope. Thats the one I have.

TS Triplet APO 90/600mm - Carbon Tubus - FPL53 - 2' Crayford

I know nothing about the Doublet version (white, metal tube) or heard nothing about it either.

Archived