Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a dob mount??

SoulFrenzy

I know that Imaging with a dob mount will not yield the best images because it doesn't track the object. I was wondering is it at least possible to attach a webcam and obtain some decent images? All I really want is to be able to take images and catalog the objects I have observed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You will be able to take images of the planets and the moon with a webcam. For DSO imaging you will need an equatorial platform for your dobsonian mount and a better camera. For planetary and lunar imaging you can allow the target to drift across the field of view of the webcam and take a short AVI.

Peter

Download the free video editing software "virtualdub" and video cropping program "Castrator" . Vdub will allow you to edit out the frames when the object drifts off screen and castrator crops the object for aligning in registax so any drifting of the object will not spoil stacking the avi frames. A 5-10 min avi should give you plenty of frames to work with. Rotational blur wont be an issue as you will be limited to a short focal length. I doubt you will be able to use more than a 2x barlow with a manual mount.

Thanks for all the help!! I was looking at equatorial platforms but that looks like they might be beyond my beginners expertise. I'm pretty crafty and I have all the tools but I'm not sure I can make one. They definitely interest me. My wife has a DSLR camera that I think will work fairly well for taking the pics. We would need to figure out how to use it more. As bad as I hate it.... the astrophotography side is drawing me in. Lol.

Archived