NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help me purchase my first telescope :)

Although the HEQ5 is still favourite as i've not heard any compelling reason not to go for that combo over something else

Other than that forks may cure your optical wonderlust? :)

BTW I have a spare WO SCT focuser (immaculate condition), let me know if you are interested.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without taking anything from Celestron's excellent C8...

Have you considered Meade's LX200R?

I have yet to see thru one but reviews are favourable and suggest that the optical design (whatever they choose to call it :)) is at least equivalent to an SCT for observation and noticeably better for imaging.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=lx200rota

Also on a fork-mount:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=lx200r

Wonderlust is an issue for me I fear!

I've not read any reviews of the LX200R's and wouldn't be against them on general principle, just on price.

The price keeps creeping up from C8/HEQ5 to CPC to LX200R. Whilst I dont mind spending a little more to get something that lasts the cheaper the better really.

The link you gave is the for C925 version, however Orion do sell a C8 version. Unfortunatly Orion do not ship outside of the USA in an agreement with Synta there main supplier. The Canadian and European reseller of Synta equipment is Skywatcher. Some Orion goods are available from Telescope Service in Germany however they do not stock the whole range.

I didn't know that Lee, thanks. It's certainlly worth a call. Ian King also sells the C8 on an HEQ5 as a package and it would be interesting to compare prices. Although that being said, buying the items individually can sometimes be cheaper, especailly if buying second hand

• 2 weeks later...

I've read this thread with interest as I will be upgrading at some point. It has been very useful and answered some questions straight off. Just started to build an observatory so I can have a permenant mounting. I was thinking of an LX200 but people seem the prefer Celestron, why is that? The fork mount appeals to me as that is what I'm using now, but if I want to have a bash at photography there's the added cost of a wedge. So would a HEQ5pro or even the 6 be the better option. I suppose an HEQ6pro would be the only mount I'd ever need for anything I could through at it later on.

There are just tooooo many choices

Dave

Archived