Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics Europa 8" First Light

Hobbes

Well I now have my very own telescope :D – an Orion Optics Europa F6 8” Newt with an EQ mount. Drove up to Coventry on Saturday to pick it from a really lovely chap who was finding it too heavy to move around. He is 68 and has to use a walking stick now and is gradually shifting all his equipment and downsizing. He also threw in a 30mm finder scope which was really kind – just need to find a way of mounting it on the scope now as the original finder is next to useless and the rings are too small for the replacement . On his advice I had a bash a collimating the scope when I got it home which was a character-building exercise! I had just decided to give up and try again in the morning when I popped my head outside to find clear skies. Re-motivated I carried on and having got it as good as possible I headed outside and set up. Collimation appeared to be OK – I could at least see stars ;). Used Vega to check alignment of the finder which was well out, fixed that and then went looking for some of the more familiar objects. First up Alberio which looked sharp and clear with good colours, next M57 - what had been a grey blur in the 6” TAL loan scope I have been using recently now resolved into a beautiful ring. M13 looked stunning - first time I have been able to resolve stars in the cluster. Mizar/Alcor – split Mizar easily. As Aquila was up above the trees thought I would have a go at M11 and after getting stellarium fired up on the laptop and a bit of star hopping and found it and saw lots of detail previously hidden. Then the highlight of the session – Saturn, which had just appeared in a gap between some trees. There were the rings, the Cassini gap, some surface bands and 2 or 3 moons - lovely. At this point the eyepieces were all dewed up so I called it a night. All in all I’m a jolly happy bunny, the scope and mount are pretty basic but the mirrors look in good nick. It should be a good scope to cut my teeth on.

My first 'proper' astro scope was an 8" Europa. Like you I found the construction basic, but the views amazing. Mine was an F4 version. Despite the fast ratio, I had no problems with collimation. In fact the short tube meant you could look down the eyepiece tube while turning the main mirror nuts, and not stretch your arms too much!

It came with a 30mm straight finder and I soon upgraded to a 50mm 90deg type. Though I'm not necessarily recommending this. I know types and size of finder are a very personal choice.

My lovely wife has just given me a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece for my birthday so if it clears up tonight I know where I will be ;)

Green with envy here. I have some short fixed FL Hyperions and been more than pleased with the view per ££. You should get fantastic resultswith the Europa.

Thank you all for your kind words.

It was a bit cloudy last night but I did catch a few glimpses through gaps in the cloud - enough to hint at what I have to look forward to. The difference is huge particularly at the higher magnifications. There was a much greater feeling of "being there" rather than looking at the stars down a long tube - a much more immersive experience.

Archived