NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Posting options

tom33pr

Hi,

There's a telescope in the 'for sale' section that I'm after.

I'm based in Belfast and the seller is in Portsmouth.

Could you kindly refer to a reliable company offering posting services? Maybe there's one that you have used yourself and would recommend to others?

Note that this will be just a one off postage (so please do not advise on any subscription deals) with two boxes (10 and 15kg).

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Go with Royal Mail Use their tracking and take out insurance. I bought a scope from the mainland it was very well packed and i was able to track it every mile and this scope was a 10" dob and it was here in three days. but make sure that it is very well packed Robert in NI PS my dob came in two boxes

I've found ParcelForce's rates for shipping directly with them have shot up recently but you can still use ParcelForce (or lots of other couriers) if booking through Parcels2Go or Interparcel and it's now cheaper that way. Still expensive though, just not quite as expensive. And look out for that added value insurance as it can double or triple the total shipping cost. ;)

John

The biggest worry is knowing that the scope has been correctly packed.

If it is well packed, the carrier can do what he wants, short of crushing the box, and the contents will survive.

There are recommendations on shipping/packing/insurance in the Astrobuysell forum. There may be some here, but i'm not aware of them.

Parcel Monkey are another "one stop shop" for couriers.

BUT, the added insurance costs a lot and you will find that it excludes glass and mirrors, the most likely parts to get broken.

I have bought and sold a few scopes over the years and no matter who is carrying them, you can't beat a secure package, well packed and padded. I'd rather pay £25 for bubble wrap than £25 on insurance that wont pay out anyway!!

Cheers

Archived