Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY8L or Atik314L+ ?

Interested

I'm wondering which of the 2 CCD's (Colour versions) would work best with my scope (Meade 127 ED Apo):

Atik 314L+:

Pros:

1. Well supported with software (I'd like to use Nebulosity2 or MaximDL).

2. Set point cooling capability.

Cons:

1. Smaller chip so I would probably need to use a 0.5 Focal Reducer to get a similar FOV as I would get with the QHY8L (I use a 'cheap' FR now with the DSI II and often get green stars!).

2. Doesn't appear to have Windows 7 drivers as standard (unless FLO needs to update the sales blurb?).

QHY8L:

Pros:

1. Larger chip means no mucking around with FR's.

2. Has Windows 7 drivers.

Cons:

1. Doesn't appear to be so well supported with software.

----------------

Software support is important to me. I would like to use the camera out of the box and not go hunting for drivers. Pointless having a good camera if the software lets it down!

I also like to try some narrownand imaging.

I also like the idea of the bigger chip offered by the QHY.

So, what do I buy - QHY8L with the bigger chip and less support or the 314L+ with smaller chip and better support?

I did think of buying an Opticstar CCD:

Opticstar DS-615C XL CCD camera.

as it has the large chip, comes with Nebulosity2 bundled and has plugins for other software, however, I am cautious as I don't see others using them?

I might have got the 'pros' & 'cons' wrong - any advice that might help me come to a decision would be very welcome

Hi Pete, I recently bought the the QHY8 Pro second hand with no software. The drivers were easy enough to find here.

And it seems to work very well with Nebulosity2, although I have yet to purchase the full version as I have not had enough practise/clear skies, plus I am away at the end of this week but I am 99.9% sure I will be purchasing Neb2 very soon.

Justin

I'd vote for Atik software and, honestly, hardware. However QHY seem to be sorting out their issues. Following posts on here they may not be entirely there yet but perhaps not far off.

Dead set on colour? I have both but if I had only one it would be mono.

Olly

I use a QHY8 with Nebulosity2 and a MONO SXVH9 (same chip as the atik) too, both work fine.

If narrowband is definitely on your todo list though, I would say go for a mono camera, you have MUCH more versatility with that. I have just started using my qhy8 with a Ha filter, but sensitivity is massively reduced, and the filters are very expensive too.

If you absolutely must have a OneShotColour camera, then the QHY8 will serve you well, excellent on noise.

But you will have more options from a mono camera.

Other thing to consider, I dont know how well corrected for coma that Meade scope is, but with the large FOV of the QHY8 you will likely get more area of unusable sky, whereas the smaller chip wont show the effect so readily.

Whatever you get, it will be a compromise, so get what you can best live with, and after that, save up for another camera that fills your other needs ;)

Cheers

Tim

Justin/Martin,

I know Nebulosity2 supports the QHY8, 8 Pro & QHY9 but does not seem to support the 8L. Atik 314 is supported under 3xxx I think?

Olly,

I think I would like to produce good images with colour before I go the mono route + the added expense and setting up needed with filter wheels/filters, but will look at the mono options for both I think.

Tim,

I will look at the mono options as I do wish to go the narrowband route in time.

Olly would know how well the Meade is corrected for coma as he used to own the same scope. My scope shows round stars with no discernable trails. Can the Meade handle the large chip? I don't know.

I could always buy a smaller quality imaging scope I suppose (if it's small, the girlfriend thinks it's going to be cheap!

Would also need to buy a good quality reducer with the attik, using my scope.

Nick,

FLO need to update their sales 'blurb' then as they do not mention Windows 7 compatability.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

It will work under the Ascom drivers in Neb2

QHY8L and Nebulosity ver 2.4

Martin,

Thanks for that - means the 8L is better supported than I thought....I do like the idea of a bigger chip :D

Olly,

LP is bad where I live in Bristol but is none existant where my girlfriend lives in Mid-Wales (hope to eventually be moving there!).

I didn't know that OSC was more difficult in LP areas so, thanks for that.

Still not made up my mind!

The QHY8L means no need of a FR and so, less glass.

The Atik means using a FR if my DSI II is anything to go bye!

If I go for mono I would probably go for the QHY8L option. I am not sure what make of manual filter wheel would fit - are the a fairly standard fit?. I guess that would be a question on a new thread? ;)

You will need a flattener with the QHY8 and your scope anyway so either way you will end up buying a flattener/reducer ;)

BTW you cannot get a QHY8L mono version, its colour only and anyway I would see it opposite to you. If choosing mono I would go with the Atik314l+ and if going colour I would choose the larger chip.

Shaunster, You are right, Iwould probably be looking at the QHY9 if I went mono.

I knew things would get more complicated - I know WO make dedicated flatteners for their scopes. I wouldn't know what flattener to buy for the Meade though (suggestions welcome). I would also need a good quality reducer for the Atik. I currently use a cheap (£29) 0.5 with the DSI II and not sure which one of them is producing the green stars (though I don't get green stars if I don't use the reducer!). I was hoping not to have to put too much glass in front of the chip, also, wonder whether I will have focussing issues ;)

NickH thanks for your input also. The Atik might be better suited to my scope - looks like my research goes on - now look for a manual filter wheel and filter options for the Attic, plus, source a good quality reducer.

All,

Thanks very much for your inputs - much appreciated ;).

Think I have now come to a decision:

1. Atik 314L+ mono with the Atik manual filter wheel + RGB filters for now (narrowband at a later date).

2. Get myself a good quality focal reducer.

Use the above with the Meade 127mm.

When funds allow:

1. Buy a Meade 80mm ED Apo (unless someone can suggest a better scope for similar price?) and an OAG.

2. Use the QHY5 for guiding with the OAG.

Just like to find out now if the finderscope that came with the 127 will fit on the 80!

Regards,

Archived