Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reccommend some Celestron 6SE accessories...

Going to get the scope ordered next week, $100 off this month.

I have heard i should make my own dewshield, make my own solar filter.

I will be buying a power a/c adapter to plug in at home and into my 12v converter in my car when I am on the road.

anything that I am missing, maybe buy a 10mm eyepiece?

Thanks

Hi there

Great scope and you've obviously done some homework as far as accessories go.

Dewshield absolutely, either purchased or homemade.

I'm guessing that you'll just be getting the "kit" 25mm Plossl ??

So a nice higher power eyepiece would be a good purchase.

I would get used to the scope first before getting anything else.

Enjoy

Regards

Neil

I have this scope and a dewshield is a must. Not only for dew, but also screening out stray light- particularly if you live, like me, where there is lots of LP.

Made my own dewshield out of camping mat foam, so it is a bit longer (2X scope diameter) than a "bought". Weighs next to nothing and makes a massive improvement.

The other thing I would get is a 12V 17AH gel battery- much more flexible and safer than 12V AC, or 12V DC socket. With the AC supply, you can get "spikes" which would fry the electronics.

Lastly lenses, I use cheap Plossls. The 6SE is a "slow" scope so pretty forgiving, but if you get much below 10mm you will struggle with eyerelief.

Lenses are a "personal" thing.

I have this scope and a dewshield is a must. Not only for dew, but also screening out stray light- particularly if you live, like me, where there is lots of LP.

Made my own dewshield out of camping mat foam, so it is a bit longer (2X scope diameter) than a "bought". Weighs next to nothing and makes a massive improvement.

The other thing I would get is a 12V 17AH gel battery- much more flexible and safer than 12V AC, or 12V DC socket. With the AC supply, you can get "spikes" which would fry the electronics.

Lastly lenses, I use cheap Plossls. The 6SE is a "slow" scope so pretty forgiving, but if you get much below 10mm you will struggle with eyerelief.

Lenses are a "personal" thing.

So i should get the external tank? I didn't know that i could hurt tthe telescope electronics...in the same sense then maybe instead of plugging it in at home, I should surge protect it?

So i should get the external tank? I didn't know that i could hurt tthe telescope electronics...in the same sense then maybe instead of plugging it in at home, I should surge protect it?

Wouldn't bother with a dedicated "power-tank"- you are paying more for extras you'll never use. Just get a 12V 17AH sealed lead-acid battery. You can make up a connector (RS Spares/Maplins do them). Make sure you have about 6 foot of cable- helps to avoid cord-wrap (but there is also an option on the SE mount to stop this).

I got my SE mount and 6SE second hand. Just make sure the scope has the "XLT" coatings and the mount firmware is version 4 and above.

Wouldn't bother with a dedicated "power-tank"- you are paying more for extras you'll never use. Just get a 12V 17AH sealed lead-acid battery. You can make up a connector (RS Spares/Maplins do them). Make sure you have about 6 foot of cable- helps to avoid cord-wrap (but there is also an option on the SE mount to stop this).

I got my SE mount and 6SE second hand. Just make sure the scope has the "XLT" coatings and the mount firmware is version 4 and above.

So I could buy a 17AH battery and make up an adapter for the scope.

I imagine any electronics store would have the proper cables.

In that case could I get the power cord and cigarette cord from an electonics store? Or is it best to buy the $37 celestron one?

Thanks for the info

So I could buy a 17AH battery and make up an adapter for the scope.

I imagine any electronics store would have the proper cables.

In that case could I get the power cord and cigarette cord from an electonics store? Or is it best to buy the $37 celestron one?

Thanks for the info

The connector pin is tip positive. I think it is a 5mm- cost about £1.50

You will need to do a bit of soldering. Either that or cough up for the Celestron connector

i love my 6se, first thing i would get is a dew shield, powertank and then a wide eyepeice, like a 32mm plossl, most objects in the sky will need an eyepeice like this and its the max fov possible with he scope so worth everypenny

So I'll get a 10mm and 32mm plossl

As far as the power, I was thinking of getting the celestron a/c cord, then connecting the ac adapter into a homemade connection to the battery. Is there any guides on how to properly wire from battery to ac cord?

Last thing I want to do is fry my new telescope.

Archived