Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar convert.

northernnutter

OK....to my shame, since having my scope, DSO's have pretty much taken up all my viewing time, with the moon not really getting much of a look in!:mad: Again, last night, I ventured out with DSO's on my mind, only to be faced with a moonlit garden, no chance of DSO's, and a glorious full moon staring me in the face!! (Quite ironic considering the disappointment of the 'non eclipse' event of the night before!!:))

I therefore succumbed, and had my first 'proper' lunar viewing session.

What a revelation!! :)

Firstly, the position of the moon was lovely and low, so it was the first time I have been able to view in comfort!! Stitting down on a little step ladder, comfy eye level.....bliss!!! (I could get used to this 'sitting down' lark!)

Secondly, the view!! Well what can I say? Just gorgeous! So much to see...didn't really know where to look...just stared and stared!! And I know a full moon isn't the best time to view for detail, but even so...!

I loved the view the most through my 25mm eyepiece, not as much detail, but the full view of the moon in the eyepiece really appealed to me...plus, seeing the occasional cloud drifting over added an eerie/ethereal feel.

Tried the 10mm eyepiece, and although more detailed, didn't feel as sharp to my eye...probably more a statement of the eyepiece than anything else..

I was even inspired enough to try a few photo's....and was chuffed to get even an average image with my point and shoot. B)

I wasn't organised enough to have any lunar info with me....the lunar 100 list...to help me identify what I was actually seeing....but I can definately see this being something to aspire to in the future!!

Before I knew it....it was 02:30!! 'Goodnight moon!!'

Suffice to say, I am now a convert! I just luuurve La Luna!!! (and feel a little embarrassed I ignored it's beauty for so long!!!:))

Cheers.

Vicky.:eek:

Hi Vicky,

Glad you enjoyed your look at our neighbour.

It's good that when you can't observe DSO there is something else to capture our interest, there is so much up there we'll never get bored.

Clear skies.

Cheers Alan.

It's good that when you can't observe DSO there is something else to capture our interest, there is so much up there we'll never get bored.

Absolutely!! Also had my first look at a few double stars last night.:)

Albeiro.....really lovely colours!

The lyra double...easy to get, and a nice double in it's own right, but no luck with the double/double!!:)

(Think I need a higher mag than my standard 10mm EP for that one!!)

Vicky.

Just wait until you see the surface around first or second quarter, especially near the terminator! The deep shadows change everything! With a 10mm EP and 2X Barlow in my 5" Dob, I sometimes feel that I'm in an aircraft flying just a few kms above the surface, and not 400,000 km away!

It never gets old.

Ha ha, listen to Mag10.... it is true.

I use a William Optics Binoviewer (with supplied 2x barlow) with two 12.4 Meade 4000 series EPs on my 10" SN10 Dob to view the Moon, stunning.

Actually, using Virtual Moon Atlas on a laptop at the eye peice makes the Lunar 100 too easy IMHO. :)

just downloaded the virtual moon atlas... good in,it!!!

It is very good, even more so since it is free.

I just love a bit of lunar observing its an instant gratification.

It definately gets that "Wow" factor when the wife, friend, next door neighbour have a look :)

DSO's do not instil the same reaction to my non-astro aquantances :)

Archived