NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Urgent!!!! Lets get some attention

Regarding the crime aspect of turning of the st lights, i did come across an article in the times recently about a pilot scheme to reduce lp and carbon footprint etc that stated crime actually went "down" in areas that were unlighted (believe this came from police figures). I'd imagine the amount of real rapists and psychos willing to roam around in the pitch dark after lights out is quite small compared to the hoodies (who are probably less willing to grope a teenage slapper or drink a can of amber **** in the pitch blackness of unlit streets) and assorted scum who happily tramp about in the nice safe crimefree lighted streets of good old blighty that we have at the minute.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The skies were really dark during WW2 and then some fly-by-night tried to deposit a land mine on Denmark Hill Station.

Completely ruined my night vision and our Champion Park dwelling.

Suspect a slight preference for light pollution over bombs.

For my avatar picture, I used a photo of my home town Montreal as seen from ISS.

Not because it's a "pretty picture", but to illustrate my main problem as an amateur astronomer!

I have this picture in my office at work. Underneath I wrote:

"Ad astra per aspera"

When my co-workers ask me what it means ("To the stars, by arduous means") it's my chance to educate (at least) a few people on the problem of light pollution.

I live just about dead-center of the picture.

post-27113-13387762045_thumb.jpg

One thing to consider is that when discussing LP, not ALL lighting is being discussed. The International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) defines light pollution as: “Any adverse effect of artificial light including sky glow, glare, light trespass, light clutter, decreased visibility at night, and energy waste”.

“The Dark-Sky Association was started to reduce the light going up into the sky which reduces visibility of stars……. This is any light which is emitted more than 90 degrees above nadir. By limiting light at this 90 degree mark they have also reduced the light output in the 80-90 degree range which creates most of the light trespass issues”.

Energy waste is another major reason to reduce LP. “Specifically within the United States, over-illumination is responsible for approximately two million barrels of oil per day in energy wasted.”

Health issues are also a factor in reducing LP. “A study presented at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco found that light pollution destroys nitrate radicals thus preventing the normal night time reduction of atmospheric smog produced by fumes emitted from cars and factories”

They recently installed new streets lights in my area with full-cutoff fixtures, meaning light was not directed horizontally or upward. This type of lighting fixture, when correctly installed, reduces the chance for stray light (or LP). The street is still illuminated, but not, as before, lighting my back yard (viewing) area, which sits above the light fixture! I live on a hillside, well above the street. I also use motion activated lights around the outside of my house to a.) reduce LP, b.) save money and c.) I find it a better way to know if someone is snooping around the house than if the lights are on all the time.

LP Sucks

All quotes are from the Wikipedia, Light Pollution article, so take it for what its worth.

Link to full article. Light pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...I have a "Jack attitude" and am happy with it, I have given a lot in my life and since I started drawing my pensions I decided to start taking back. I have no interest in tree huggers, save the earthers, save anythings, NIMBYS or what happens to this world after I have gone is of no interest to me ;)."

I must respectfully disagree with your attitude.

And I'll leave it at that.

Jerome

"...I have a "Jack attitude" and am happy with it, I have given a lot in my life and since I started drawing my pensions I decided to start taking back. I have no interest in tree huggers, save the earthers, save anythings, NIMBYS or what happens to this world after I have gone is of no interest to me ;)."

maybe at 24 im too young to have any real insight to say this but i gotta agree with him.

to me, it seems that gone are the days of integrity and respect, and in its place has taken different form of life - a me me me state. not criticising either, but gotta go with the times man, gotta go with the flow.

maybe at 24 im too young to have any real insight to say this but i gotta agree with him.

to me, it seems that gone are the days of integrity and respect, and in its place has taken different form of life - a me me me state. not criticising either, but gotta go with the times man, gotta go with the flow.

Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?;)

This article has been awarded the following commendation:

482.jpg

It's no wonder kids these days have no interest in the great outdoors, no interest in where we are from, and lack a basic appreciation of the world around us.

That's a pretty big stereotype. Especially considering that all the young people on this forum are not going to be of that nature with a common interest such as astronomy.

The street lights near me now turn off at midnight in winter, 1am in Summer. Much better idea - and, as of yet, no crime spree.

Please tell me if a house comes up for sale near you ;)

I just think these images were a real lost opertunity- that astronaut should have been plugging these images as how much energy we are wasting- not how 'beautiful' it looks.

I completely agree, well said. Just think about the amount of money it has taken to put that guy up there, only for him to promote this shameful light pollution in a fleeting manner.

Archived