Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher focuser..

Hi, just cam across the tune up guide for the basic skywatcher focuser on astro baby's website and was wondering whether the process would be roughly the same for the focuser on an evostar 120 (mine is not very nice to use, the scope moves when you try to focus and it sounds gritty). I love the scope but the focuser is getting on my nerves so much i was considering buying the dual speed crayford replacement, any advice fro a noob would be appreciated :)

I'd have a go. I am sure it's the same and even if not, it's simple focuser and as long as you work with care and lay out all the bits in the order they come off you'll be fine.

you can make a big difference to even the worst stock focuser with this sort of work.

Hi keano, i have the s/w dual speed focuser on 2 of my refractors, they are very good, if you plan on keeping the evostar, and can afford the focuser i would recommend the upgrade. your evo is nicely mounted with some good ep`s and will serve you very well for many years to come.

It would cost next to nothing to "tune" the old unit so give it a go first, but the dual crayford is silky smooth and a pleasure to use

Thnx folks, think i'll have a go at regreasing it and if it doesnt work out I can always plumb for the ugraded focuser which seems to be well thought of. Advice and links etc much appreciated. :)

Jobs a good un!:) stripped it, cleaned all that evil friggin gunk of it( what a job) stuck it all back together with no problems and it seems to have made a fair amount of differance to the smoothness of the focuser,still seems to be a little "slop" i think is the term when you touch the focuser knob but a little fine tuning will hopefully minimise that. thnx folks:)

Cant access the for sale section yet im afraid moonshane, but ive just had a look at my scope and i can see 2 holes by the lock knob(is that the screw that locks the focuser?) i thought they were just holes tbh, are they allen key fitting?

I had the same with my Evo 120. I gave it a clean, put on some lithium grease, removed those plastic shims and replaced with PTFE tape and then spent what seemed like an eternity fine adjusting the top barrel and pinion adjusters. The change was massive in comparison but you will never beat a crayford focuser as no matter how smooth you get the action there will always be slop on the rack.

Hi spaceboy, your right about the differance it makes I hav'nt even finished tweaking yet and it's a lot smoother but I have a nagging suspicion that the slop will get on my nerves at high mag, so i can see your point about upgrading to a crayford (is the dual speed to do with the fine focus part? I'm not to up on astro gadgets and gizmos yet) I'm just trying to talk myself "out" of buying one if I can do without tbh. Theres a celestron ultima barlow x2 and a new high power planetary ep with my name on this payday so im trying to reign in the desire to go loco with the mullah you know what i mean:D

Duel speed allows a 1/10th of an adjustment to the focus which I'm Sorry to have to say in the case of achromatics is considered essential to get the best views from your scope at high powers. Regards talking yourself out of it all I can say is how serious are you about astronomy and what do you want to observe? While an upgraded focuser can make the world of difference in a scope you are already content with it will never give you anything more than smooth focusing. If you find yourself with aperture hunger due to the DSO hunting bug taking hold £130 can go a long way to a larger scope.

Its quite likely that I will upgrade to a bigger scope in the future but thats a couple of years off at least, as ive only just bought my evo 120(first scope btw) which im very happy with for he time being, It just seemed that the focuser was the weak link in the package as it were (even to someone as inexperianced as me). I'll see how it goes with the stock focuser once ive had a chance to tinker with it some more, it does really seem to have made quite a differance but if I find it a little to irritating to use I dont suppose a nice shiney new crayford would break the bank:)

P.s. I appreciate you good folks taking the time to answer my noob questions:iamwithstupid:

Archived