Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm in ASCOM HELL

Hello, i have just purchased the HitecAstro USB EQ Direct Interface.

I am using,

An HEQ5 Pro mount with the synscan HC,

Windows 7, I have installed the ASCOM platform 5, the 5.5.1 update and EQASCOM. I am able to connect to the usb interface as Com7, However when attempting to connect to the mount, i get the error "Failed to load driver: Cannot create ActiveX component"

Can anyone assist me please?

Check out the EQMOD Yahoo forum for more advice. Have you selected COM7 in EQASCOM, and EQ5/6 in the scope choice? You can select a scope simulator to check out the software. Are you using EQMOD alone, or in conjunction with some other software, eg Stallarium? Have you tried a direct link through the handset (without the Hitec unit) and selected 'PC Direct' mode in the handset?

It usually helps in these situations if you list every detail of your setup hardware and software, and at what point it fails.

If you can give us a bit more info on the setup/config it will help. If you haven't done already I would start with a basic setup, make sure any other USB devices are removed so it's just the usb cable to EQDir - cable to EQ5. You can also scan the com ports from EQsetup to make sure it's picking up the right port. I sometimes have to power my EQ6 off and on to get EQMod to see it again after another device has locked the USB bus (such as a camera battery going flat) so make sure you test this first with nothing else on the USB bus to make sure.

Seen that error message before, have you checked in task manager to see if the process is already running ?, if it is that my be whey you getting the error, just close it down and try again..

"Cannot create ActiveX component" - Could it be that your Anti-virus software is causing this? Have seen Kaspersky cause installs to fail - where activeX components are involved?

Archived