Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on solar imaging

Beardy Bob

Hi Guys,

I've just modded a 70mm vixen refractor for solar shots and have taken a few with my 350d. The results are not bad - a few sunspots are visible after stacking (which is a pain in the backside in itself compared to stacking deep sky stuff!).

But I was hoping to get some flares in the image. I've looked at a couple of other attempts with DSLRs and they look very similar to mine. Is getting solar flares beyond this kind of setup?

Bob

Hi Guys,

I've just modded a 70mm vixen refractor for solar shots and have taken a few with my 350d. The results are not bad - a few sunspots are visible after stacking (which is a pain in the backside in itself compared to stacking deep sky stuff!).

But I was hoping to get some flares in the image. I've looked at a couple of other attempts with DSLRs and they look very similar to mine. Is getting solar flares beyond this kind of setup?

Bob

yes. The flare and surface details are in a different light spectrum : H-alpha 654nm. In White light, you can actually get details of faculae but you won't get the same result.

White light imaging in itself can be very fun. I have seen some amazing capture of sunspot humbra/penumbra. There is lots to be done.

Archived